Chapter 35

Kiyotaka POV

I arrived at the cafe a little later in the morning where the sun was bright. Due to the morning being used for my morning training routine along with helping my wives recover from the past few days nightly activity, it was already around 10.30 by the time I reached the cafe for breakfast.

While I was paying for my breakfast, I saw two people I'd never expected to see together seated by one another.

One of them was Rimuru, and the other was Hinata. Usually, if they were ever seen together, it would be with the kids, but for some reason, the kids were nowhere in sight.

Hm? Perhaps there could be some sort of romance blooming?

"What a rare sight to see the two of you alone. Am I intruding?" I walked up to them with my tray in hand and asked.

"Not at all!" Rimuru assured me with a smile on his face.

"Go ahead." Hinata answered coolly.

And so I did, placing my tray on the table before taking a seat on the chair beside Rimuru and across Hinata.

How weird, I had expected some sort of tension between them since I could usually feel a storm brewing between them, but it seems that everything is fine at the moment. In fact, it was so calm that it was almost frightening.

"..." I ate my ice cream waffles, which I had the cafe sell during my visit to Ruberios months ago, in silence while the two people beside me drank their coffee.

The warm breeze and the peaceful atmosphere was soothing, almost as if today would be a wonderful day.

Unfortunately, that was too good to be true. I had Tsukishiro keep tabs on the movement of both our enemies and Leon, and it seems like they would be attacking today. Probably any time soon.

"Kiyotaka, what do you think of the incoming attack?" Rimuru asked, breaking the silence. Hinata was also looking at me expectantly. "Do you perhaps have some type of plan in mind?"

"Seeing as they decided to attack Ruberios that currently have two Demon Lords in one place, we can assume that they have a trump card up their sleeves." I said as I took a bite into my waffles. Granbell had mentioned about the strongest Hero being protected by Luminous in the 'Holy Ark'. Luminous hasn't told me anything about it, but that was fine.

Additionally, they also planned to pit Rimuru against Leon.

What a hassle...

Naturally, I had no intention of warning Rimuru of this.

It wasn't that I wouldn't tell Rimuru anything, but I wanted to use these events to keep pushing Rimuru to improve. I wanted to see whether he has the ability to adapt to sudden changes in plan.

At the moment, Rimuru only relies on his Skills and Raphael, but I wanted him to grow as an individual who could make decisions without any help.

A Swiss zoologist, Alfred Portmann, once said that all humans are born premature. A newborn human can't even walk on its own. Rimuru is the same way. However, that same underdevloped nature is an indication of the capacity for infinite potential.

Unlike Horikita who isolated herself from others, Rimuru is willing to work with allies, and his judgement, thanks to Raphael, makes him a much better leader. He is still naive, but that would be much simpler to correct than changing a person's mindset.

Sometimes, it's better to be in the dark of some things.

I finished my waffles and took a sip of my coffee just as a novice Holy Knight barged in.