𝘊𝘏. 5

2010

2010.

1st person, Areum:

It was dark outside. I once again walked along the side street, the light cold breeze blowing the autumn air as the orange and red painted leaves danced in the gentle breeze. I walked through the city heading towards my family's apartment, inhaling the almost fresh rain scent of the moonlit night. The city has a heart, a rhythm and a beat. The winds dance to the melody of the city that never sleeps for I can whisper my insecurities for the wind to carry away. This is where I feel free. This is where I feel safe. No longer bound by the shadow of forced dreams, no longer bound by the constraints of my parents, no longer bound by the idea of failure.

This is where I feel like I belong.

A place where I can be free.

If only it were like this always.

So peaceful. So serene. So free.

I continued to walk home, until I reached the apartment complex. Small fragments of glass laid on the unmowed grass from previous break-ins. The walls were graphitised with various colours and profane words that have been covered many times the same paint to no avail. I walked up the countless stairs until I reached our apartment number. Gripping the doorknob, I pushed open the door to the dark living room.

No one was home.

As expected.

With my parents working multiple occupations for us to survive, them being home was a rare sight. For years of my childhood, I spent raising myself. The feeling of loneliness was always hung in the air but it was always the perfect time to enjoy being myself. No longer having to put up a mask, a facade, in front of my parents. 

I closed the door, heading to the shower to freshen up before the night. After the shower, I laid down on my bed with my blankets hugging me as I slept on my side. Should I just do it? Should I listen to Yoongi? Should I completely defy my parents for the sake of a possible endless struggle of success? Should I follow my dream?

I closed my eyes, allowing myself to be embraced by the darkness of my own thoughts. Making up lyrics and melodies that I'll most likely forget in the morning. 

Do you guys prefer 1st person or 3rd person narration? Also, I apologise for the short chapter