š˜Šš˜. 7

2010

2010.

Areum let out a slow controlled breath and attempted to loosen her body. She was doing homework like a clock working soldier. Impetuously writing strands of meaningless numbers after she finished her English lesson with her father. She gave her shoulders a wiggle and lolled her head in circles, letting her back go into a slight slouch to her parents dislike.

The air felt brittle around her. There is no sound in the house, yet everyone is moving, moving and not talking. Her mother walks back and forth by the curtained window cooking dinner while her Dad sat next to her on the dining table, reading and signing papers he needs to be completed for work. While Areum's hand answered questions her mind replayed the offer of auditions. Should she go? Should she pack her things and run? Heck?! She wondered if she should be going on that train and heading to Seoul right now.

Why not leave now?

Yoongi said that she should just do it.

So that's what she did. She made a mental note that after dinner she would say what's been on her mind for more than 10 years of her life.

Areum's family now sat in silence as they ate their dinner with all their minds distracted by whatever they were focused on. The only sound that was heard was the slurping of noodles that Areum tried to deafen. Her father continued to read papers needed for work while her mother sat reading who knows what on her phone. Areum had a pit of building anxiety brewing in her mind as she tried to contain her shaking hands while eating.

After a few minutes, the clattering of bowls and the running faucet could be heard as Areum washed the dishes. After finishing, she turned off the faucet, dried the dishes and packed them away. It's now or never.

Her hands now shook as she grabbed them, rubbing them together, facing away from her parents. She closed her eyes, releasing a shaky breath.

"Mum, Dad can I talk to you for a moment," she said confidently, turning to look at her parents.

"Of course, dear," her mother smiled kindly looking at her daughter.

Areum took a deep breath, "can I go to the audition."

Her mother raised her eyebrows at the sudden question then instantly frowned at her daughter, "how many times have I told you when you were younger, you can't keep wanting to pursue music."

"I know but-"

"Areum, music is unstable. We as your parents only want what is best for you. We can't let you end up like us. We only have your best interest at heart."

Areum started to clench her hands trying to prevent herself from lashing out unnecessarily and out of anger but as her mother rambled on, she felt her bomb tick faster.

"Music will only be a faze."

Tick,

"You'll get over it."

Tick.

"We are your parents, we know what's best."

Tick.

"We are your parents, so-"

"IF YOU ARE MY PARENTS THEN YOU WILL LISTEN TO WHAT I WANT TO SAY! I get you have my best interest at heart but you have just tried to diminish and belittle what I truly love to do. I constantly feel that you guys aren't my parents and I'm not your daughter. I feel like I'm just a pawn in your quest for your dreams. I get you guys wanted to become a doctor and that was your dream but have you ever thought about me! About my dreams and what I want to do! To be honest, I don't care what you say but I'm going to go to that audition whether I fail or not, I want to pursue music, so whether or not you allow me to go to that audition, I will get on that train to Seoul."

Areum ended her ramble, glad that her tears didn't leave her eyes. She waited for her parents to say something, anything but they sat there in silence. Not a word. Just silence. Emptiness.

A broken family.

Please comment and vote if possible :)

Do you prefer 1st person or 3rd person narration?