7. More to Their Stories

The artwork above is not mine.

◦ ~ ❘ ☼ ❘ ~ ◦

    The sun was sinking low in the sky by the time Rowan announced they'd be making camp. Nascha practically fell off the horse. Her entire body ached from the constant jolting of the past several hours. Lysandra shifted back into herself and swiped a satchel from Aedion's mount. She linked her arm through Nascha's, tugging her away from the males.

    "Where are you going?" Aedion called.

    "To clean ourselves up," Lysandra replied.

    "You're going with her alone? I don't think that's a good idea."

    "Yes, alone. I haven't had a moment of privacy since we left Wendlyn, and I doubt Nascha fancies the idea of one of you watching us."

    Nascha bared her teeth with a growl. "Absolutely not."

    "Modest?" Fenrys teased, onyx eyes glittering.

    "You have half an hour, or we'll come looking for you," Rowan interrupted, before Nascha could reply. He fixed his gaze on her. "You won't make it back to Suria in half an hour, no matter how fast you fly."

    Nascha merely lifted her chin proudly and followed Lysandra into the surrounding thicket. She let out a sigh of relief once the males were out of sight. "I'm glad I escaped when Maeve sent them after me. I don't think I could have survived being around them for the past nine years."

    "They're not so bad once you get used to them," Lysandra replied. Nascha flashed her a disbelieving look. "They're infuriating, but they're good males. They just don't trust you."

    "And you do?"

    "No. Not yet, but I trust myself."

    "I only trusted my family."

    "What happened to you after Adarlan conquered Terrasen? We were only given a brief history about your family."

    Nascha pursed her lips, debating how much to reveal to the Lady. Presently, the burble of a stream filled the air. Nascha could barely see it through the spreading darkness. She reached into her well of magic, grasping a tendril of starlight. Lysandra tensed instantly.

    "Relax," Nascha said, rolling her eyes. She waved her hand, casting starlight over a small portion of the stream, illuminating it in a soft silver glow. "I'm just making it easier for us to see what we're doing. And, if the males come looking for us, I suppose it will help them too."

    Lysandra set her satchel down and pulled out a few items. "Use whatever you like." She unbraided her long brown hair and shucked off her clothes before wading into the stream.

    Nascha followed suit. However, she took her soiled clothes and cleaned them as best as she could, spreading them out to dry before jumping into the stream. She ducked her head below the cold water and smoothed it back. Nascha approached the rock where Lysandra had set her comb and soaps.

    She took her time sniffing the different scents and finally decided on pomegranate. She combed her fingers through her hair, working up a thick lather. "Zeno and I only stayed in Arcelia a few months after Mother, Father, and Van left to fight Adarlan's forces," Nascha said at last.

    "After we received word of their deaths and reports on Adarlan's location, we fled from Arcelia along with hundreds of our people. I don't know where the people went. Most of them intended to resettle Arcelia once the danger was gone. Zeno knew we wouldn't have that opportunity. Adarlan's forces would have killed us or forced us to swear allegiance to them. Zeno and I hurried to a port and boarded a ship to Wendlyn. We hid in Aklease for two years."