40. The King and the Witch

The artwork above is not mine.

◦ ~ ❘ ☼ ❘ ~ ◦

Nascha sat before the vanity in Fenrys' room at the palace, while Lysandra wrestled her long crimson locks into an elaborate updo. Evangeline perched on the edge of the bed, watching and calling out occasional suggestions. Fenrys was already downstairs helping Aelin and Rowan greet guests as they arrived. She hadn't seen him once since they left the cabin.

"Do any of the guests know who I really am?" Nascha asked. She winced as Lysandra stuck a pin through her tresses. Lysandra readjusted the pin until it sat comfortably.

"If Aelin told anyone who you were, I imagine she might have told Dorian," the Lady replied. "But I doubt anyone else will know. If someone asks who you are, use the false last name you went by in Arcelia. Do you still remember it?"

"Tierney, I believe."

Lysandra gave an approving nod and wove a sparkly black ribbon through her hair. She secured it with a diamond hair comb. The diamonds formed a pattern of vines and delicate blossoms, studded with tiny pink pearls in their centers. Lysandra clasped Nascha's new pendant around her neck and motioned for her to stand.

Nascha complied, smoothing out a few wrinkles in her skirt. "You look pretty," Evangeline said.

"Do I still look old?" Nascha laughed. Evangeline blushed and shook her head.

Nascha faced the mirror and for a moment, she hardly recognized herself. The main shape of the gown was made out of a wine red material. The neckline plunged down to her midriff, exposing her tanned skin and leaving her pendant on full display.

The neckline itself was shaped by black beads that formed vines similar to the ones in her hair comb. The beading trailed down the bodice in elaborate patterns, ending at the waist. From the top of the neckline, which barely clung to Nascha's shoulders, the beading continued down her long fitted sleeves, before ending at her wrists.

From the waist down, the gown hugged the curve of her hips. A slit traveled up the center of the skirt, flaunting her long legs. Two separate panels of inky black material were tucked into the waist of the gown on each side, before meeting in the back where large rubies held the material together to form a short train.

"Come on." Lysandra looped her arm through Nascha's. "Aelin promised there would be a few glasses of whiskey being passed around."

Nascha grinned and offered her hand to Evangeline. The young girl slid off the bed and took it. Together, the three of them left the bedroom and headed down the stairs. Nascha eyed the numerous guards who were positioned in the vast corridors.

    "They're new," she remarked. "Usually there's only a few guards in the palace."

    "Rowan insisted more guards be on duty tonight," Lysandra sighed. "Apparently the group who attacked that refugee village has picked up in activity again, coming closer to Orynth each time. While we don't think Rayan and Eliora are involved with them, it's better to be prepared. Aelin invited them tonight and we don't want to risk being caught off guard by an attack."

    Nascha shook her head, frowning. "Rayan and Eliora have always been true to their word. If they gave you six months, then you have six months. They won't break their agreement."

    "Still, I'd rather be safe than sorry."

    "Nascha!" A familiar voice hissed.

    Nascha glanced over her shoulder and caught sight of Aeron. He was dressed in the Bane's official uniform. Lysandra paused as Nascha joined him. "What are you doing here?" She asked.