19. Homecoming

Fenrys spoke with Aelin while Nascha waited just outside the palace, accompanied by Lysandra and Elide. The day had finally come for them to travel to Arcelia. Nascha had woken in a terrible mood, which was progressively worsening. Fenrys held little hope that it would improve when they reached Arcelia.

He'd spent hours the night before going over maps of Terrasen with Rowan. They were going to ride to the foothills of the Anascaul mountains on horseback. Once they reached the mountains, Fenrys would teleport them to Arcelia. He'd booked a room for them at a lavish inn under the false name Aelin had created for him. He would be called Oden Tierney and Nascha was to be passed off as his wife, Ophelia. She didn't know that yet, of course.

"Here." Aelin pressed a small pouch into Fenrys' palm. "Extra money, in case you need something while you're there. You know what to do if things go wrong?"

"Yes, your Majesty," Fenrys teased. "We must've gone over contingency plans at least two hundred times."

Aelin squeezed his hand, even as she rolled her eyes. "Good luck."

"Thanks. I'm going to need it." Aelin dropped his hand as he headed out the palace doors. He approached a stable hand, holding the reins of a large chestnut stallion. Fenrys swung himself into the saddle and offered a hand to Nascha.

"I am not riding a horse with you," she barked.

"You are, or you'll be walking to the foothills."

"I'll fly."

"I'm not giving you the opportunity to shift anytime soon. I don't trust you right now."

"I've never trusted you."

"You can bicker later," Elide cut in. "Get on the damn horse, Nascha. You're making things difficult for everyone."

Nashca's features melted into a cold glare. Elide remained unconcerned, even as she stared up at the formidable Fae. Nascha begrudgingly took Fenrys' hand and situated herself in front of him. "Why can't I ride behind you?"

"You might jump off and run away, or shift. Like I said, I don't trust you right now. I want you where I can see you." Fenrys tapped his heel against the stallion's side and they set off.

"What route are we taking?" Nascha asked. "It used to take us three days, sometimes four, to reach Orynth, starting in Arcelia."

"We're cutting straight through the Oakwald Forest and I'll teleport us to Arcelia once we reach the foothills of the Anascauls."

Nascha didn't say another word as they rode through Orynth. When they were safely through the city, Fenrys allowed the stallion to move from a walk to an even canter. Fenrys shifted the reins into one hand and tucked his free arm around her waist. Nascha tensed instantly. "What are you doing?"

"Relax," he replied. "I'm making sure you won't fall off."

"I'll be fine without your help," she snapped.

"You should consider improving your mood before we enter the forest. I know you've heard the stories about that place. Its denizens might not take kindly to some loud mouthed, disgruntled Fae."

"In that case, we should probably turn around."

Fenrys shook his head. "You can't wiggle your way out of this, Nascha."

"I'll try."

"What do you have against Arcelia? Why don't you want to go back?"

She blinked rapidly, hickory eyes shining with unshed tears. Concern pricked at Fenrys. "Would you want to go back to Doranelle after everything that happened there?"