49. Trust and Disbelief

The sound of hoofbeats filled the air, reaching Nascha in her half lucid state. She managed to open her eyes, despite the grit of drowsiness that lingered in them. She was still hunched over Fenrys. He was already lost to his burnout and the regenerative sleep that followed. Nascha shivered and spied a thin coating of frost on the ground. The moon was bright overhead, casting a silvery glow over the clearing.

    Nascha lifted her head, ignoring the throbbing ache that filled it. She scanned the clearing and the forest around them. Nothing was left but the skeletons of trees that had been destroyed by her magic. She couldn't see the approaching horses or their riders. Nascha drew in a deep breath, but it only carried her scent and Fenrys', along with icy mountain air.

    If she shifted into her owl, she'd be able to see better, but Nascha knew that wasn't an option. She had no energy or magic left to shift. The hoofbeats were drawing closer and muffled voices accompanied them. Fenrys shivered beneath her and Nascha glanced at him worriedly.

    Whatever was coming might prove dangerous. She had hardly the strength to defend herself, let alone the two of them, but she would try. She had no weapons and neither did Fenrys. There hadn't been time to grab any before they left. She would have to shift her nails. Nascha clenched her jaw as she did so. Pain throbbed through her temples but she did her best to ignore it.

    Nascha angled herself over Fenrys defensively, her taloned hands poised to strike. Her every instinct urged her to protect him. She swayed on her heels, but somehow remained upright. Four horses rode into the clearing, each carrying a familiar male.

    Nascha bared her teeth at Lorcan and Aedion, instincts overwhelming her. "I'm surprised you haven't fallen asleep yet," Aedion said.

    "And you still have the energy to appear as intimidating as a hummingbird," Lorcan added.

    "Haul your ass off that horse and I'll show you how intimidating a hummingbird can be," Nascha snarled.

    "Easy. We're here to help." Rowan shot Lorcan a glare and swung off his horse. "Is Fenrys all right?" He inched closer. Nascha flexed her hands, scraping her talons over her palms.

    Vaughan dismounted as well, but Lorcan and Aedion remained on their horses. "Take a deep breath, Nascha. You know we aren't here to hurt you."

    "Well, Fenrys anyway," Aedion said.

    Vaughan glared back at the male. "You're not helping." He returned his gaze to Nascha. "How hard did you two push yourselves?"

    Nascha swallowed. "Too hard," she admitted.

    "Let us take you back to Orynth so we can make sure you'll get through this burnout safely. Both of you."

    Nascha didn't reply. She rested her hand on Fenrys' shoulder as he continued to shiver. His skin was unusually warm. He'd pushed himself beyond his limits to help her. Now, he was facing the consequences. If she yielded to her instincts and refused to let the others help, it could cost Fenrys his life. Besides, they were his friends. They knew him. They knew how best to care for him. She could trust him with them, but could she trust them with herself?

    "You're exhausted, Nascha," Vaughan continued, crouching in front of her. "Let us help so you can rest."

    Slowly, she retracted her talons and gave a small nod. "But I ride with you," she whispered. "And Fenrys goes with Rowan."

    Understanding flickered through Vaughan's eyes. He lifted Fenrys with ease and joined Rowan beside his horse. As soon as Rowan mounted, Vaughan settled Fenrys across the saddle. He returned to Nascha while Rowan, Lorcan, and Aedion started back through the forest. Nascha hooked an arm around Vaughan's neck as he lifted her. He set her on his horse and mounted behind her. Soon, they were trailing after the others.