Chapter 1.2 Better not to tell

Later that evening, Iris was helping her mother with washing up after dinner. Cody was in the other room reading a book.

'Mum, I need to talk to you about something,' Iris said.

'I can tell,' the older woman replied, her brows furrowed and her pale green eyes looking at her daughter with concern. 'You were unusually quiet this evening.'

'Oh, come on! I don't talk that much,' Iris scoffed.

'Well, maybe not, but you're not a silent type either,' Mother laughed and wiped her hands with a cloth. 'Let's make some tea and talk then.'

When they finally sat at the table, Iris was silent for a few moments, trying to collect her thoughts. Her mother waited. She knew better than to rush her.

'I'm worried about Cody,' Iris said.

'Is there any particular reason? I worry about him all the time. He's such a troublemaker.'

'It's not that, mum. We had a bizarre conversation today...' she said and then told her mother in detail about her brother's little outburst.

The older woman slouched visibly, holding a warm mug in her hands. The wrinkles on her forehead deepened. 'It's worrisome indeed,' she finally agreed. 'I don't know what he's thinking.'

'Maybe he has a rough time with finding his identity. I thought maybe if we told him the truth about the father...'

Mother banged the table with her fist, startling Iris. 'That is out of the question.'

'But don't you think he should be aware of the risk? In my case, it manifested around his age. What if it happens soon and he doesn't know what to do?'

The other woman scoffed. 'Do you know how much effort it took for Master Dawson to erase the records about your father? If we tell Cody, he will blabber it out the moment he loses his temper, which is every other hour. We can't have that. If the word gets out, we will have Inquisition at our doorstep in no time. What will you do then, eh?'

'Fine, don't tell him about Father then. But please, talk to him about keeping his mouth shut. And what to do if he,' Iris fumbled for the right words, 'discovers he has a talent.'

Mother was silent for a while, staring into her tea. She sighed and looked back at her. 'I will talk to him. Although, I hope he will never manifest it. One cursed child is enough.'

Iris felt her stomach clenched at the words. She knew her mother didn't mean to hurt her, but it still wasn't pleasant to be treated this way. But she said nothing and only held the mug tighter.

'It is not likely he will get it, though. After all, it is a rare affliction. In the old days, people considered themselves lucky if even one of Mage's children inherited it. I guess I hope that because you have it, Cody won't.'

'It is not a sickness, mother,' Iris said before she could stop herself.

'Is it not?' the older woman raised her brow. 'It brought us nothing but misery. If your father were a simple man, he would still be alive, and you wouldn't have to live in fear. The world changed, Iris, and it's brutal and unforgiving. We can't do anything about it, and so, we must adapt. And you must be on your guard. Always.'

Iris looked at her mother. Her words were cruel, but her eyes were full of love and care. She lived every day in fear for her children, and Iris couldn't blame her for being rough. She reached out and squeezed her hand gently.

'I know, mum. And I'm sorry. You know I'm always careful.'

'I'm glad at least one of my children is reasonable,' the older woman said with a heavy sigh. 'I'll go and talk to Cody, so you don't have to worry about him.'