Chapter 37

You know what makes trading a whole lot easier? Having a means of contact with the person you're actually trying to trade with.

I sighed, peering at the screen of Chantel's phone to see that not even a minute had passed from the time I had looked at it last. Selena lay unconsious on the floor, all three of us waiting for her grand appearance back on Earth.

It was her own fault really, I proceeded to tell myself repeatedly, like a stuck record that couldn't prevent itself from repeating. She should have told us where her brother is.

Danny was on his phone, calling numbers over and over again. Each time, to his dismay, he sighed and cursed the non-existent Lord. "For God's sake."

"Who are even trying to call?" I asked, eventually allowing curiosity to express itself.

"Glen and Mark." He pressed the phone back to his ear, the call ending without a response.

"You don't think they've managed to get themselves hurt, do you?" Anticipation for the truth led me to bite my fingernails.

"I don't know what I think." He tried once more. In a blur of anger, he threw the phone across the room, slamming it off of the wall. I flinched, as did he. He covered it up by pacing, head down with his eyes trained onto the toes of his converse.

Chantel barely moved. She was sat on the bed, watching Selena carefully for any sign of movement. I nudged Chantel with my elbow. She flickered her gaze onto me. "You okay?"

"We're literally beating a girl for answers about some psycho that is potentially going to kill the wife of one of the members from my favourite band. That's not even mentioning that the pyscho is trying to kill you, and that Danny is a dick."

"Hey. I prefer the term 'sex God'." He said. Whether he was trying to loosen the silence, or whether he was trying for entertainment, there was no smile behind his voice. I think that was what made me feel even more uneasy.

"Didn't ask for your preference." It was obvious I was distressed to the point where even Danny flashed me a look of intrigue.

"She's moving." Chantel jumped up off the bed, moving to tower over Selena's now moving form. "Welcome back. Took you long enough."

She pushed herself onto her hands and knees, retching and coughing. Her nose was coated in drying blood, as was the side of her face. Her left eye was slowly darkening, turning a deep purple as it swelled, almost completely closing her eye. "Leave me the fuck alone." She growled, as if she was in the right state to do something violent towards us.

"I will when you tell me where the fuck your brother is." Chantel had a way of sounding very menacing when she applied herself to it. Even I felt on edge, let alone that I'd known her for so long.

Selena rose her wrist up to her vision, staring at her watch. A hint of a smile passed over her face. "He's in reception. Maybe you should meet him."

Surprised that we'd actually gotten anywhere, I leaped to my feet. Dan had stopped pacing, exchanging glances with Chantel. He nodded, turning towards the door as I followed. I turned to see Chantel staying in the same place, as if rooted to the spot. "Go." She told me, smiling. "Save Lover-Boy."

I took that to mean Glen, but I instantly put away the image that he could be in danger. Not like he'd need saving anyway, being the grown man that he is. Inodded sharply, turning back and following after the tall figure in front of me.

I closed the door behind me, neither gently nor forcefully as we took the stairs. As I was about to jump off the bottom step on the ground floor, Dan stopped me. Disliking the nearness of us, I climbed up another step before settling for the distance. "What?"

He passed me the weapon Selena had threatened to kill me with. "Do me a favour and don't die? Glen wouldn't be too happy." He looked at me from head to foot, assessing me. "Hide the knife."

In response, I slid it under the band of my jeans. The cool nature of the metal caused me to shiver, and the blade cut at my jeans slightly, and as I walked, it cut my thigh a little, but it was the best idea I could think of, considering the circumstances.

Danny continued to walk to the door that marked the entry to the lobby. I followed after, trying not to wince from the piercing the tip of the blade was doing to my skin. Dan stopped abruptly in front of me. I peered around to see what caused him to stop, and wished I hadn't.

Everybody who had been going about their jobs in the lobby had wished they'd taken a day off in that moment. I didn't think to count, but around 5 women and men, in the hotel's uniform, were slumped motionless on the floor, bullet holes obvious through their uniform. Their bodies had been dragged to a heap in front of the remaining innocents who were on their knees silently crying as their lives, too, were threatened. Three men I didn't recognise were stood with guns cradled in their arms, the barrel focusing on the innocent. Pacing in front was Dylan, right where Selena had said he would be.

I had been up for a trade, but the circumstances were completely different to what I had expected, and it only turned worse when they noticed us standing in the doorway.