Chapter 25

We were all dragged into separate interview rooms. I was sat down in a straight back chair on one side of the table, two empty chairs on the other side. There was a one-way mirror on the wall opposite me. I stared at my reflection. My face was darkened from the smoke, my pale skin looking grey. My green eyes were shadowed by the past events and the daunting feeling that I had nearly died. Twice. My hair was sticking up in an untamed mess. Some of the hair near my head wound was matted with blood, pasted to the side of my face. The rest of my hair was coated in ash from the smoke, making it less brown and more grey. There was something different about the way I sat to how I had previously: my shoulders were back, my spine straight, my chin lifted. Confidence was surrounding me. To be honest, I liked the difference, even if I noticed it while stuck in an interview room at a police station.

The two officers who had arrested us walked into the room. Honestly, Riley looked drained. Dakin looked pretty exhausted too. They sat in the chairs opposite me as the door was closed by someone lingering outside.

"I'm hoping you're going to give us some straight answers." Riley said, rubbing his face with his hands. "Why did you set the van on fire?" He removed his hands and looked me straight in the eye.

"I didn't set fire to the van. In fact, I was trapped inside the van, if you want to be precise." I folded my arms across my chest. Defensive, not offensive.

He seemed to prick his ears up at that. "What?"

"You heard me." Okay, maybe I was becoming over confident. I leaned back in my chair.

"So how did you manage to get inside the van?" Dakin asked after exchanging a glance with Riley.

"You know, it should say in my personal file that I had an incident with a guy called Dylan. Let's just say he wasn't too happy to see my alive." I sat up straighter again. "I nearly died for the second time."

"This story just gets better." Riley murmured, flicking through my file. He genuinely looked shocked when he found out I wasn't lying.

"Can I please go? I had nothing to do with it."

Somehow, I managed to persuade them to let me go. I asked Riley if I could have Danny's phone since mine was shattered to pieces. He said no before leaving the room. I turned to Dakin.

"Please can I have his phone? I need to call someone to pick me up." I batted my eyelids at him, feeling like a little child, only I didn't care. I needed his phone if I was going anywhere.

Dakin sighed. "Okay. Wait here." He left the room, returning a few minutes later with an iPhone that he slipped in my hand. "Your friends are not going to be released as long as Officer Riley is watching over the case." He turned to the one-way mirror. I rose to my feet, slipping the phone into my pocket. Dakin moved around the table to my side, leaning close to me. "I will see if I can help them escape." He slipped a piece of paper into my hand. I tried not to make it obvious as I pocketed it. I didn't ask why he wanted to help;  I simply nodded slightly as he escorted me out of the building.

Honestly, I hadn't expected it to be that easy to find my way outside. I unlocked Danny's phone (he didn't have a pass code. Makes life easier.) and found Glen's phone number on his contacts. After a couple of rings, I heard his voice.

"Dan? Are you okay? Where's Teghan?"

"I'm right here." I smiled at the sound of his voice.

I heard him sigh in relief. "What happened?"

"I'll explain when you get here." I told him the location to which he answered that he would arrive soon. I ended the call, realising how big my smile was. How could the sound of someone's voice make you beam that much? Weird.

Like he said, he arrived soon enough. He stepped out of the car. At first he smiled, but as I continued stepping closer, he began to take in my smoke-stained skin and the bandage around my head.

"What happened?" Concern was thick in his voice. He took my face in his hands, looking me over closely.

"I will explain." I nodded slowly.

"I need to get you to a hospital." He said.

"Glen...I'm fine." I tried to tell him.

"No, you're not." His voice was stern. It was the harshest I had ever heard it. "You're going to the hospital, okay?"

I didn't have much choice. I nodded gently. He forced a smile. "As beautiful as you are, I don't think the smoke suits you."

'As beautiful as you are'? He called me beautiful?  The surprise must have been plain on my face.

"I'm sorry." He said, looking slightly embarrassed.

"It's fine. Thank you." I kissed his cheek and moved around to the passenger side of the car and slid in.

Beautiful. I was never going to forget that.