Chapter 2

I awoke slowly, my head cloudy and my body feeling numb. My vision was hazy but I felt peaceful. I heard voices but could not decipher what they were saying. I tried sitting up, but groaned as I found it hard to raise my body. I felt so heavy. I saw a face appear in my blurred vision. Another appeared. Their lips began moving but I could not understand them, but this didn’t bother me. I felt...content. My eyelids became too heavy to lift and I felt darkness submerge me.

*             *             *             *             *             *             *

When my eyes opened this time, I didn’t feel as happy. There was an ache in my stomach that made me groan. I tried to sit up and realised that was a bad idea when the ache became worse. I felt someone touch my hand with theirs. I looked over to see Chantel.

“You don’t look so good.” I said. She didn’t. Her mascara was smudged, her hair was messy and she wasn’t in her usual ‘revealing’ clothes.

“I’m not the one in the hospital bed.” She smiled. “What happened?” She said, seriousness taking over.

So now you care. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and told her the story. “Some guy, Dylan, was in the club and wouldn’t take the hint to leave me alone. He then followed me out and things didn’t go so well.”

“God. I’m so sorry that I wasn’t there.” She reached over and hugged me tightly, making it hard to breathe.

She’s not sorry, I told myself, she never cared before. “I can’t breathe.” She let me go and wiped her eyes. “Is there any water around here?” I asked, realising how dry my throat was. From nowhere, she produced a glass of water and handed it to me. I gulped at it and it was the best drink I had ever had. “How long have I been here?”

“About three days.”

Three days? My parents must be panicked beyond belief! “God. I bet mum and dad are going mad.”

“I haven’t told them.” She said, biting her nails. She never bit her nails.

“What? Why not?”

“There was a note outside of my apartment. It said that if I told anyone else, he would kill me.” She didn’t meet my eyes.

“Have you told the police?” I asked, eyes wide.

“Do you think I’m stupid? Of course I have.” She rolled her eyes. “Talking of the police, they want to ask you what happened. They do not believe the witnesses. Apparently they are prime suspects or something.”

“When can I be discharged?”

“I don’t know. None of the nurses are talking to me.” She looked over at me. “Thanks for asking, but no, I did not get with that guy because I had to come and save your ass. Now, I am going to go and compensate for that with some time down the club. Talk to you later.” She got up and left.

I sighed. It was a few minutes before the nurse walked in, smiling widely.

“Good to see you awake.” She said cheerily, checking the machine I was wired up to.

“When can I leave?” I asked, almost too eager.

“Not until at least tomorrow morning. We need to make sure you get through the night. Anyway, it’s 9pm. It’s past discharge time.”

“Has the guy who saved me been in?” After all, it would be nice to thank him for saving my life.

“No. The police took him in along with his two friends. You should go down to the police station tomorrow and see them. They have many questions for you.” She then left the room, writing things down on her clipboard. I sighed and laid back into my bed. Before I knew it, I was asleep.