Chapter 5

Glen and Danny - he had insisted that I call him 'Dan' or 'Danny' instead of Daniel - left to go and get us all some lunch. I stayed in the hotel room with Mark, who seemed nice enough.

"Tea?" He asked, switching on the kettle in the room.

"No thanks." I sighed, sitting on the bed. A hysterical giggle escaped my lips.

"What's so funny?" Mark sounded intrigued.

"This must be a first - having to keep a girl locked up in a hotel room so that she doesn't get killed."

"Well, it definitely isn't normal." He laughed slightly.

"So, who are you guys?" I asked, trying to push down the fear I was still feeling.

"We are musicians." He made his cup of tea and sat back down in his chair, looking at me.

"So you're in town for a gig?"

"Yeah. It's not until tomorrow night. We like to arrive early."

"Good thing you did." I nodded slightly. "What's the band name?"

"The Script."

"Interesting choice of name."

"Yeah, well, we thought so too." He smiled at me. "Tell me about yourself now?"

I sighed. "Not much to tell." I looked away. I never liked talking about myself.

"Come on. Sure there is. Got any brothers or sisters?"

"No. I'm an only child."

"See, there is stuff to tell!" He exclaimed, smiling.

"I tried going to college. I guess it wasn't right for me." I shook my head slightly. "I didn't want to go back home and admit defeat, so I stayed in my apartment. A family friend checks in on me every now and again."

"Do your parents know what happened?"

"No. Chantel didn't tell them. She was threatened by Dylan." I tore my eyes away from Mark's.

"He really is being a dick."

"Yeah."

Staring at my clasped hands, memories of the incident with Dylan flooded into my mind. Keep the barrier up. Don't let it take over your life. I swallowed, pushing the memories down. I clasped my hands together tighter, using all my strength to push them down. If you had let him talk to you, this would never have happened.

"Everything okay, Teghan?"

Surprised, I looked up to see Mark watching me carefully. "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine. You look pale."

"I just need some fresh air." I said, getting to my feet and walking straight out of the hotel room.

"Teghan! Wait!" Mark yelled after me, but I was already making my way into the elevator.  The doors closed before Mark could join me and I was alone, descending in the elevator.

"Don't let it control you." I whispered out loud to myself. "It wasn't your fault."

Yes it was.

"Shut up!" I yelled as the elevator doors opened. Everyone in the lobby turned to stare at me. Embarrassed, I bowed my head amd walked, staring at the toes of my converse. As soon as I was outside, the cool air hit me. It was refreshing. Without thinking, I continued walking. I had no idea where I was going, but I needed to be alone.