Chapter 23

Still, I stared up. It's the smoke. It's making you see things that aren't real. I rubbed at my eyes, then looked back at the familiar face. Nope. Still there.

"But..." I muttered, still not fully absorbing the reality of the situation.

"You thought I would just leave you?"

I shook my head, as if trying to clear it. How do I even start to try talking to him... I turned away from his face, looking at the destruction I had been dragged from. The van was rapidly being engulfed by flames, dancing their way over the wreckage. There was an unknown car smashed to pieces near the van, it too threatening to be swarmed by the spreading fire.

"Teghan?" He called, waving his hand in front of my eyes. I pulled my gaze back up to his face.

On impulse, I said the thing dominating my mind. "You drugged me!" I yelled, rising to my feet.

"Hey. I've come to save your ass. Without me, you'd still be stuck in there." He pushed his flat hair out of his face. He nodded towards the van.

"That doesn't make it okay!" I exclaimed, my throat growing more sore.

"Let's move. Come on." He took my wrist in his grip. I snatched it back.

"The last time you grabbed me, you drugged me. Keep your hands to yourself." I hissed. Hurt flashed in his dark eyes. I almost regretted saying it. Almost.

"As you wish." He indicated that I should follow him as he began to head towards a black car that was idle near the scene, but far enough away that I hadn't noticed it before.

"You didn't hit the van?" I shouted as I followed, seeing not even a single scratch on the shiny surface of the car.

"No. That was someone else. We were following behind."

"'We'?" I asked as I joined Danny next to the car.

"Selena insisted that she drove. After all, she wouldn't appreciate someone without a driver's license driving her car." Danny opened the passenger door and slid in.

I moved to open the back door, checking out my head wound in the reflection in the window. Every time I placed even a slight bit of pressure onto the skin around it, disorientation swallowed me whole. Guess that's another trip to the hospital. I sighed. Too many hospital trips in such a short space of time.

I reached my hand down to open the door before my eyes flickered over to the wreckage. I looked at the car that was flipped upside down. It hadn't yet been encircled by flames. You're just going to leave the innocent people?

I looked at the car again. Do I go to safety, or do I take the chance to potentially save someone's life?

That's when I knew that I would have to help if I wanted to sleep at night.

"I'll be back." I said, catching Danny's gaze before I ran off towards the damage.

"Teghan! Wait!"

I turned around to face him. "Some of us don't believe in collateral damage!" I yelled.

"Is that aimed at me?" He shouted.

I didn't answer. I turned back around, heading towards the wrecked car.

I reached it, peering into the driver's side. There was someone still there. I didn't know if they were alive, but I had to get them out. Harshly, I pulled at the door handle. It didn't shift. Note to self: build up strength. Desperately,  I turned around to see Danny joining my side. A fire burned in my chest. You don't need his help. When Dan moved his hand towards the door handle, I batted it away and tried again myself. I saw him roll his eyes at me.

"Move out the way, Teghan. I can handle this." He sounded fed up.

"Like you handled the Dylan situation? What are you going to do: handcuff the driver to a sink?" I said sarcastically.

"You know, if you stopped being whiny, this would be so much easier." He sounded irritated.

"If you weren't so self-centred, Glen and Mark would be here to help me, not stuck in a concert venue." I smiled falsely at him.

"What's the problem?" He said, frustrated.

"The problem is that you drugged me!" I turned away from the car, screaming at Dan.

"But I've saved you now!"

"So that makes it okay? You save my life for the second time and everything is suddenly okay?"

"The second time?" His features became clouded with confusion.

"When I was stabbed..." I tried to trigger his memory.

"That was Glen." He answered quickly. What? I watched as he realised he had just changed his story. I could see as he mentally hit himself.

"Lying too. Great." I turned away, forgetting to perform the good deed.

"Teghan..."

I span back around. I pulled my hand back, connecting it to his cheek with more force than I had originally planned. Blood began to rise to the surface from where my hand had caused a mark. "Don't ever speak to me again." I reached over, pulled at the door handle and the door popped open. I turned away, walking back to Selena's car, leaving Danny to continue the good deed.