Chapter 3

The next morning, I was discharged. Chantel reluctantly brought me a change of clothes and gave me a lift to the police station but said she had things to do, and left. I mean, it wasn’t like I’d nearly died four days before. A little sympathy wouldn’t have gone a miss. Once I arrived, I was taken into another room with two other police men. They sat me down and I told them everything that had happened. They asked about Dylan specifically. I told them all that I knew and they seemed content with that. They then promised to release my saviours and said that I could leave. Only, how can you simply walk away without saying thank you to the people who saved your life? So, I stood outside the station and waited. It wasn’t long until three men came out, all tall and handsome. I walked over to them as they reached the car park.

“Hi.” I said, nervously.

“Hey.” The tallest said. He smiled slightly, looking sympathetic. “You feeling okay?”

“Well, aside from the ache in my stomach and the mental scarring, I’m okay. I’m sorry you got taken away.”

“It’s no big drama. As long as you’re okay.” He didn’t look convinced that I was okay. His Irish accent was beautiful. It made me sway slightly.

“I just wanted to say thank you. I mean, I wouldn’t be here if you hadn’t helped.” I tucked my hair behind my ear.

“I just hope the dick gets caught.” He smiled. “Do you need a lift home?”

“I am okay, thanks. I can walk.” I was about to turn away.

“No, I insist. You shouldn’t have to walk around with your injury.” His eyes were pleading me to accept.

“Only as long as it is no trouble.”

“Of course it isn’t.” He smiled and opened the back seat door for me. “After you.” I smiled and slid into the car, the man following after me. The other two had gotten into the front seats.

“Hey, I never caught your name.” I met his dark eyes and found myself lost in them.

“I’m Daniel.”

“I’m Teghan.” I offered my hand and automatically wished I hadn’t. He looked as surprised as I was and shook it awkwardly. I cringed. Well, that’s your chance gone. I mentally slapped myself. There I was, sat next to the most attractive guy I had ever laid my eyes upon, and I had screwed it up. Nice one, Teghan.

I gave the driver – a tall, dark haired man with slightly gelled up hair – the directions to my apartment. He pulled up outside and Daniel was already out the car opening my door for me.

“Thank you for the ride.” I said and climbed out of the car. Daniel shut the door behind me, and began walking towards the building. I guess he is walking me to my door then. I followed after him, trying to match his pace. He slowed slightly, holding the block door open for me. “Thank you.” I said and ducked under his arm. My apartment was on the fourth floor, so not all that many stairs to climb. We reached my door and I bent down carefully, trying not to rip open my stitches, and pulled my key out from under the mat. I opened the door carefully. As I looked in, I noticed an envelope on the floor. I picked it up and turned back to Daniel.  “Thank you. For everything.” I smiled at him.

He smiled back. “See you later.” He said in his magnificent accent. He turned away and began walking down the stairs. I opened the envelope as I turned into my apartment. I pulled out the letter and saw that it was a hand-written letter. I looked straight to the bottom to see who it was from.

Dylan.