Chapter 6

Deep breaths. Push it down. Don't let it show.

It took me a twenty minute walk before I even began to calm down from my outburst. It would have been so much easier to have gone outside with Mark, but then why should I need to drag him around everywhere? He had a life too.

I stopped walking and planted myself on the curb. The road was empty, no cars passing at all. Taking in a deep breath, I allowed my mind to clear, almost in a state of meditation.

The phone in my pocket began to vibrate. I pulled it out of my pocket, looking at the caller ID. Why now?

"Hi mum." I answered, trying to make my voice its cheery self.

"You weren't answering your house phone. I was getting worried." The strain in her voice was obvious.

"I'm not at home. I'm staying with friends."

"Is everything okay?"

Was it worth bringing my own mother into this situation? She would only collect me and take me home. That would be defeat. How could I do that when I was doing so well independently? Sure. Having a stalker is doing so well. But I was going to deal with it. I was.

"Everything's fine. I just need some sleep."

"Okay, sweetie. Let me know if you need anything. I'm always here. I love you."

"Love you too." I choked out. Lying to her hurt. By not telling her, I was being selfish. You're being selfish to keep her safe. I hung up the phone before I said anything else.

Restrict it. Don't let it control you.

I held my head in my hands, repeating it to myself over and over again in my mind. Eventually, it was all locked away, deep inside the abyss of my soul.

Let's go back.

So I did, feeling calmer and more relaxed.

                                             *                                        *                                        *                                        *                                        *                                        *   

I knocked back on the hotel room and Glen answered.

"Hey." He seemed calm.

"Hi." I re-adjusted my weight onto my other leg. "I didn't mean for the outburst."

"You don't need to apologise. Come in." He held the door open and allowed me to walk in.

"Where are Mark and Danny?"

"They went out looking for you. I'll let them know that you came back okay." He pulled out his phone and typed a quick message before returning it to his pocket.

"I guess I'm back under house-arrest."

"If you would like to put it like that, then sure."

I sighed. "You could at least have monopoly or something. I mean, how long can a girl sit in a room before she goes crazy?"

"Sorry. I'll make sure to buy monopoly for the next girl who I keep shut up in my room." He rolled his eyes slightly. He turned on the kettle. "Tea?"

"Personally, I'd prefer wine or vodka."

"Well it must be your special day." He turned around with a shot bottle of vodka that he had taken from the mini-bar. "Don't enjoy it too much." He smiled, tossed it at me and I caught it.

"What is with the irish and alcohol?" I smiled. "Wait a second. What's the catch?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm practically in jail here, and you're giving me vodka. There must be a catch."

"It's from the goodness of my Irish alcohol-driven heart." He smiled.

I opened it and swallowed the contents. "So, you're a musician. What do you play?"

"Drums and guitar." He sat down in one of the chairs in the room.

"Both at the same time?" I asked.

"No. Well, not that I've tried, but I am guessing no."

"I hear you have a gig tomorrow night."

"Yeah. It's the main reason we came here."

"I'm guessing you have a good fan base here then?"

"I guess you could say that." He smiled. His smile was perfect. His teeth were straight were straight and bright white.

I realised that I had looking at him too long. Say something! "So, how bad are Danny and Mark going to yell at me for running away?" I said, trying to keep my cool.

"They'll be fine. Don't worry."

There was a knock on the door and Glen answered it, Danny and Mark walking in.