Chapter 28

I don't know what I'd expected. How could someone like him stay with someone like me? I guess I'd allowed myself to be filled with a hope that was rapidly extinguishing.

It was the early hours of the morning. The moon was shining brightly outside, the stars glistening against the dark velvet sky. I found myself watching them out the window. Something about the stars had me transfixed. Clouds soon gathered, gliding over the pinpricks of light, darkening the world.

I still had Danny's phone. I clicked onto Glen's number, my thumb hovering over the call button. You can't call him. He left you. I locked the phone, tossing it on the couch as I stood by the window. You don't need him.

I took myself off to bed again, continuing sleeping without nightmares this time.

          *          *          *          *          *

I awoke in late morning, when the sun was rising high into the sky. Clouds were still visible, but they did not hide the sunlight. I took myself off to shower.

When I returned back into my room, a towel wrapped around me, I heard my home phone ringing. I chose to ignore it, walking over to my TV and turning on the music channel. I pressed the volume up button until the walls were practically vibrating from the waves of music. I pulled on a pair of jeans and a loose top, moving into the kitchen to make breakfast.

After homemade pancakes (which were exceptionally perfect, may I add), I took Danny's phone. I muted the TV as I dialled Chantel's phone number. She picked up on the second ring.

"Hello?"

"It's Teghan."

"Oh hey! What's up?"

"Are you up for drinking before midday?"

"There's the Teghan I love! I'll be round in a few." She ended the call.

Maybe I was over-reacting, but I didn't care. I hadn't spent much time with Chantel in a while, even if she supposedly was a bitch. She would lighten the mood, whether that be with her terrible dance moves or her over-rated jokes. Even if she had filled my nightmares, I couldn't just sit around all day. If I had learned something over the past few days, it was to seize the moment while it's still within your grasp, and that men were surely not to be trusted.

Or was that a biased opinion?

          *          *          *          *          *

Chantel was at my door quicker than I expected. She shook a bottle of vodka at me before she walked in, already smiling.

"I thought you were ignoring me. You weren't picking up your phone." She said, making her way into the kitchen. After closing the door, I followed her.

"My phone was crushed to pieces." I leaned against the counter as she looked through my cupboards for shot glasses. She soon gave up, and decided to pull down two normal glasses.

"Who's phone are you using now?"

"This guy's." I dismissed it with a wave of my hand as she turned and rose her eyebrows at me.

"Do you lurrrrve him?" She started making kissy faces.

"No; I think he's a dick." I took the bottle of vodka out of her hand and poured some into the glasses.

I realised she was staring at me. I turned to look at her. "You're heartbroken. It's in your eyes. If it wasn't him, then who was it?" Her voice seemed serious and genuine for once.

I sighed. I pulled myself up onto the counter, swinging my legs. "There is this guy..."

"I knew it! What's his name?" She sat on the floor with her legs crossed as though it was a kid's story time.

"Glen." I stared down at my glass. "I'm not heartbroken. It would never last."

"Have you kissed?" She sounded eager to know.

"Once." I swallowed the contents of my glass. "It's just that we've been through a lot in the past few days. I guess I really wanted it to work out."

"I'm sure he'll be back." She rose to her feet, downing the contents of her glass and filled both of our glasses up. "He will be back for a girl like you."

Only, her words were completely different when he didn't show up.