Chapter 14

I shone the light of my phone into the darkness. It only illuminated a short distance from us.

"This suddenly got worse." I stated. "What's the plan?"

"Find light?" He used the light of his phone to highlight the area around us.

"That sounds so simple." Carefully, I made my way onto my feet, keeping one hand resting on the wall. Danny accidentally knocked my shoulder, causing me to yelp slightly from the shock. "Where are we heading?"

"This way." I felt his presence from behind me disappear. I couldn't see where he had gone, even using the light on my phone.

"I can't see you, smartass." I called. I felt his body next to me. Slowly, I felt his hand grip onto mine. "I hope that's your hand."

He began walking, leading me beside him. He had pocketed his phone, so he was walking blindly through a darkened, locked up building.

"You know, this isn't the smartest of your ideas. For all we know, we could run into Dylan right now." I whispered, trailing along behind him.

"We won't. This place is huge." He continued pulling me along.

"Where are we going?" I asked, trying to keep my voice low.

"Shower room."

"Whoa." I stopped in my path. "Are you suggesting something?"

"There are locks on the door. There's running water. There is a toilet next door. Got a better idea?" He sounded slightly agitated.

"Yeah. We find Glen and Mark." I removed my hand from his. "We should stick together."

"No, we should get you hidden. You're who he wants."

"Danny, no. I'm not going to leave Glen and Mark running around helplessly while Dylan is trying to kill me."

Danny's phone began to ring. "Don't you dare run off." There was a brief pause. "Glen. Tell Teghan she shouldn't be running around while Dylan is trying to kill her."

"Teghan, don't. Me and Mark are fine. Hide." His voice sounded over loud speaker.

"I'm not hiding in a room for the remainder of my life." I yelled.

"Teghan. Please." His voice was so gentle.

"Fine." I sighed. "You win."

"Hide her well, Dan. Don't let anything happen to her."

"I won't." The call must have ended because Danny found my hand again. "Come on. Time to move."

*               *              *               *                * 

We reached the shower room. There was a light switch in the room, but we didn't risk turning it on. That would attract attention to the room. I positioned myself with my back against the locked door, staring into the darkness. Danny had positioned himself opposite me. He was playing on his phone, the light pasting shadows on his face.

"Well this is fun. I'm locked in a room with someone I've only known for a few days." I sighed.

"To be fair, I've held you while you were bleeding. I think we've had time to bond." He said, sounding defensive.

"Wait, you held me when I was dying?" I felt my mouth drop.

"Yeah." He said, sounding intrigued at my confusion. "I'm guessing Glen never told you?"

"No. But then, I hadn't asked." It was Danny?  I guess I had expected it to have been Glen.

"You learn something new everyday."

The shock soon subsided when I yawned and realised it must be late. I looked at my phone screen. It was the early hours of the morning.

"Okay, I'm going to sleep seeing as nothing is happening right now."

"I'll keep watch."

I leaned my head right back against the door and closed my eyes, finding out I was more tired than expected.