♤3♤ the sad part

"When you forgive, you in no way change the past — but you sure do change the future."

- Bernard Meltzer

"Aren't you even a little bit curious who told me you like me?" Mix asked casually, leaning on the headboard

"I thought you don't want me around, so why should we talk?"

"Because you clearly want me around and who knows — after this, maybe I'll change my mind."

Earth's heart skipped one beat, he looked at Mix with so much hope in his eyes he must have looked like a child on a Christmas day. He sat back on the bed, nodding his head, "okay, who told you I like you?"

Mix's face got shrouded in shadow as he turned off the lamp, letting only the streetlights come in through the small window. "Benn."

"Huh?"

"Benn was the one who told me. It was on my last day in school. He stopped me outside the front entrance. Honestly...I didn't believe him one word. I figured it was just another of his stupid pranks. Who could know it was the first and the only time I heard him telling the truth," A short quiet laugh left Mix's lips.

"I'm sorry. I should have been the one to tell you but you hated me back then and you still hate me now. I knew I didn't have a chance so I kept it to myself. I didn't want to put another burden on you." Earth was playing with the hem of a duvet, trying his best to keep eye contact with Mix but it was so goddamn hard looking into those big innocent chocolate eyes and remembering the way those eyes were looking at him every time his friends made another cruel joke.

"No, Earth. That's where you are wrong," Mix shook his head, hugging his knees with his arms. "The sad part is that — you actually did have a chance. When I entered the university you were like my hero," Mix chuckled. "The popular, handsome senior who is great at everything and you should know him better, he is really nice to everyone — that's what they all said. So I did, and how did I end up? Being a laughing stock of your brainless group of friends and the 'really nice to everyone' senior did nothing about it. You know," Mix took a deep breath, "before that whole mess started, I was planning to ask you out. That would be something, right? A new kid at school asking popular senior out."

"Mix —"

"You did have a chance — but I moved on. I haven't seen you for three years and I lived a peaceful life. I'm not saying you haven't crossed my mind more times than I wanted to but your father and his men helped me get over you. They really did."

"Mix, please, please forgive me," Earth sounded desperate, and he was — this boy, the boy he liked for almost four years could have been his; once upon a time, he could have. "If I knew I would —"

"You would do what? Defend me and risk your friendship with your friends? Don't make me laugh."

"They are not my friends anymore."