Chapter twenty-eight: Peeta

Coin has some nerve. She has to have a plan or something to get me or Katniss killed. To send Katniss, whose progress she knows has regressed, to the Capitol, where she was beaten and tortured, to be near Gale, a person who hates her and she hates him. This is a death mission. Not to mention the terrible manipulative egotistical woman has also decided to send Prim in with us as a medic. PRIM! Barely fourteen year old Prim.

"Peeta, deep breath. I know she's evil doing this to Katniss and now Prim. I would be just as mad as you if she sent Annie here. But, we need to focus on making protective measures to keep Katniss and Prim safe. That's our priority now." Finnick says as he stands next to me while we are all waiting for the girls to arrive.

We're in the middle of a war with our faces posted everywhere in the Capitol. Coin is sending her at the absolute worst time.

"Peeta, with me." Boggs demands and I walk over to the tall man who reminds me of Thresh. "She's going to be in handcuffs. To protect us and herself. She's going to have to constantly be watched to make sure she doesn't escape. I need to know that if she gets out of hand and we can't control her that you will do what is necessary."

"Absolutely not. Stop treating her like a wild animal." I say causing him to stop and me to walk in front of him. "She is being forced to be here. Do not punish her for the decision your president made." I growl out before turning on my heel and walk towards the car that holds Katniss and Prim.

I open the door and Katniss throws herself into my arms. "Hey, there." I whisper holding her close. While I hate that she's here I'm just glad to be able to hold her again.

Prim steps out of the car and her eyes go up at the buildings. She's never been here before. Her eyes watch the large buildings and take in all of our surroundings. "Wow." She whispers as she grabs my shirt sleeve like a child would when they're scared to go someplace new. "I mean, it's terrible that we're here and I hate that, but it's oddly beautiful here."

I chuckle and bring Prim into a hug. "I know what you mean. Had the same reaction when I first saw it. Do you remember Katniss?" I ask mainly to see if she has her memories still of our first train ride here. Just to see where she is mentally at the moment.

Her face is still buried in my neck as her handcuffed hands went over my head and now rest on my back between my shoulders. "You ran to the window and started to wave. You were so nice to the people even if they were the cause of everything. Haymitch told me to be more like you, approachable."

I nod and gently pick Katniss up completely so her legs wrap around my waist. I keep one arm wrapped around her body to support her and one wrapped around Prim. "Let's go to base." I guide them to the small tent like base we have and gently set Katniss' feet on the ground but I don't force her to let go or come out of my neck. I can't imagine how traumatizing this must be for her.

"Let me explain what's going on." Boggs begins before explaining to the girls and the few other new people about the pods and the dangers of the Capitol. Every so often Boggs will mention something that will cause Katniss to tense and I just comfort her the best I can. He pulls up the hologram map of our surroundings showing off the pods underground. Thankfully most of the ones around us are already triggered so we are safe. For now.

"Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the seventy-sixth hunger games." Finnick jokes and I nod. This is the next hunger games. Rebels vs Snow.

"We will be sleeping tonight then tomorrow we move to a new location." Gale says and Katniss tenses more and grips at my shirt.

"My name is Katniss Everdeen, I'm eighteen years old. I'm from district twelve but it doesn't exist anymore. I was in two hunger games. I won the first games and no one won the second games." Katniss whispers to herself as she holds onto me as if I'm her lifeline and to be honest, I probably am.