Chapter twelve: Peeta

It's finally night fall. The rescue mission can finally happen. I stand in the command center with Beetee, Haymitch, Coin, Plutarch, and the other computer technicians. I have my arms crossed as I watch the live feed of Finnick speaking about Snow's secrets on one half of the screen and the live feed of the rescue mission.

"I am jamming every frequency with Finnick. Everything is down. Should be a clean sweep, in and out." Beetee says monitoring some computer things.

"And if not?" I ask looking over at Coin. "If it's a trap? If they're taken?"

"Then they have nightlock pills. They crush it and die. None of our secrets will get out." Coin says biting her thumbnail.

"I meant about Katniss? Will you order your men to fire on her? On someone who saved everyone in Thirteen?"

"Mister Mellark, if it comes down to it yes. Katniss holds power over you. If I continue to allow Snow to have that then the rebellion falls."

"And you don't think that your men killing her will make me end your rebellion in a heartbeat?"

"Well, I do have her family. You wouldn't risk Katniss' sister and mother, would you?" I hate this woman. She is just like Snow. Power is all she wants. Nothing else.

"We're in." Boggs says through the communicator. I look back at the screen and see them throw gas into rooms. They then bust in and continue. My jaw clenches when they reach another room. "Annie Cresta. Secured." I watch as a man gently scoops her up and walks off.

I grab a communicator connected to Finnick. "Annie is safe and sound. Keep going." I say and watch him falter a little on camera but I see him relax and a wave of relief washes the stress from his face.

"Snow poisons anyone who gets in the way. To keep from suspicion he will drink the same wine." Finnick speaks his voice smooth and confident.

"Mister Mellark, that could have jeopardized the mission." Coin practically hisses at me. I set the communicator down and look at her.

"No, it couldn't have. He deserves to know that Annie is safe." I look back at the screen just in time to see it static out. "What happened?"

"I don't know." Beetee says messing with more and more things.

"Beetee, why did we lose feed?" I ask. Katniss hasn't been saved. Johanna hasn't been saved. They could be killed.

"Peeta, I am working and it would be easier to work without you breathing on my neck." I push off the table and run a hand through my hair. God. What is going on.

"Put me on. Connect me to Snow. I'm who he really wants to talk to. Not Finnick. Let me be the distraction." I finally say after minutes go by of no contact. "It is our best chance of getting everyone else out. I'm the best distraction for Snow."

Beetee looks to Coin for permission before nodding. "Okay, this is your camera. Just keep him talking." Beetee says setting up something before rolling away to try to contact the team.

I'm given a thumbs up and I look at the camera. "President Snow? Are you there? It's me Peeta. Can we talk?" I call out unsure if he'll even answer. "President Snow. It's me, Peeta. Are you there? I know you don't want to talk to anyone but me. Let's talk this out."

The screen flashes and Snow is there. "Well, well, well, Peeta Mellark. What a surprise. I don't supposed you're calling to thank me for the flowers."

"I already did. Did you not see my video? That makes me sad. I thought you were my number one fan."

"Oh Peeta Mellark, do you really think I'm that stupid?"

"What do you mean?"

"You think you actually love that girl? You think she actually loves you?"

"I've said this many times and I'll say it again. I've been in love with Katniss since I was five. I love her with my entire heart. You've seen me kill for her. I nearly died for her. I would do anything for her."

"And do you think she would do the same for you?"

"In a heartbeat. Sure in the beginning she wasn't in love with me. In the first games she couldn't stand me. She felt pity for me. I was defenseless and weak. However, as we grew closer with the Victory Tour and then after the announcement of the Quell. Well, I was there for her nightmares. I was there to hold her as she cried. And in that time she found it in her heart to love someone. However, she's hardheaded and refused it herself. But you saw her when I hit that forcefield. I saw the video myself. She loves me. And I know no matter what we will always be together."

"Mister Mellark, I want to tell you something. And I want you to remember that it was me who told you this."

"What is it?"

"It's the things we love most that destroy us."

"And what do you mean by that?"

"I must ask you one more time, Peeta. Do you think I'm stupid? Because I know your friends are in the training center. I know they're attempting to rescue those girls. Anyway, goodnight Peeta Mellark. And remember. What we love is often is our destroyer." The camera feed on Snow cuts. No. No!

I look at everyone the room. They got them killed. Katniss, is dead. She's dead because of Coin. I turn on my heel and run. I just run. She's dead. The last piece of family I had is dead!

"Peeta!" I hear Haymitch running after me. I can't run fast because of this stupid leg. He catches me and throws me against a wall.

"She's dead! Coin killed her! Katniss is dead! She's dead!" I fight against his hold on me as tears flow down my face. I can't believe it. She's dead.

"Stop! Just listen! Listen to me!" Haymitch shoves his forearm into my throat. My head hits the wall and I stare at him. I feel so numb. She's dead. She's gone and I didn't even get to hold her hand. I didn't get to kiss her. I didn't get to tell her I love her one last time. She's gone. "We don't know that they're dead. So, Snow knows we're there, but he kept her alive for a reason. He kept her alive this long for a reason. If he knew we were coming and he didn't want us to have them then he wouldn't have let us near the building."

I shake my head at him. "She's dead."