Chapter 52

"Hyung."

Silence. Kai waits for a few more beats for a sign of movement, any acknowledgment from His husband that he's heard him. Kai tries again.

"Hyung."

Still, nothing. A tired sigh escapes Kai's lips as he shifts in the bed, lying on his side and propping his head on his elbow.

"Pyeha"

"Mmm?"

Finally, his husband replies automatically to the call. Sehun looks at Kai for a second before turning back.

Kai isn't surprised that he can see his husband perfectly in the quiet stillness of the night. His husband's lean figure is hunched over the large white crib beside their King size bed, his chin resting on his forearms. How long he's been standing at the foot of their babies' crib, simply staring at their two new bundles of joy, Kai doesn't know.

This isn't their first night with the twins. But his husband's nightly routine hasn't changed since the day they were born.

"They are not going anywhere, Hyung," Kai says softly. "Come to bed."

Kai knew they can sleep only when their babies were asleep. If not they won't get any time to take a rest. And he is tired. He is still recovering.

"In a while," Sehun replies in hushed, not taking his eyes off to even spare a glance at Kai again. The King reaches down to tuck a little hand that's poked out back into the blanket Kai so carefully swaddled their eldest son in.

Kai sits ups, yawning, His head falling back against the headboard as he regards his husband with sleepy affection. He switched on the lamp beside the bed and glances at the time on the clock on the wall.

"Hyung, it's almost one in the morning." Kai's voice is hushed so as not to wake the babies, but the urgency in his tone does not go unnoticed. "Don't you have a meeting in the morning?"

King straightens up, stretching his back for a few seconds before leaning forward again as the oldest son wriggles in his constraints. Kai can see his little fingers poking out again, and swiftly Sehun tucks his cute, tiny hand back under the blanket. This time, after his gaze lingers on the baby for a second longer, he glances at Kai with a twinkle in his eyes.

"Everyone knows I have my hands full at the moment. And no one dares to say anything to the king!" And then, his attention is back on the babies.

"Are they? I had no idea. You must be so busy, having to watch newborn babies breathe," Kai tease his husband.

Sehun gives him a half-amused, half-bashful look, and it makes the younger's grin only widens. Kai pats the space beside him. "Come on Hyung. If you're not sleeping anytime soon, might as well have a little family cuddle time."

Kai can tell his husband likes the idea if the way his expression lights up is any indication. He watches as the king takes great caution picking up their youngest, cradling him in his strong arms, and bouncing him a few times.

Kai really doesn't know what he did to get so lucky. Seeing this picture right in front of him: His Husband, their King in his pajamas, in all his ruffled glory, so clearly in love with the little ones that it radiates off him in waves; knowing that now, with this addition to their family, his protective instincts have only increased tenfold... Kai's chest expands and swells with love.

As Sehun slowly makes his way to the bed, still rocking the baby, Kai noticed the tiredness that is obvious under his eyes. Of course, he's tired. He hasn't been sleeping because they have been taking turns with the babies in the night. Kai has been pretty anxious and overly worried that he isn't doing things right, but Sehun reminds him it's only been a few days and they both are doing fine.