10. mind & soul

Time

Speed walking to my car, I wiped my sweat off with the back of my hand. I looked into my car window, admiring my body, all that work in the gym is paying off. I smiled finally liking what I saw in my reflection. Hoping in the car my phone rang, and Divine's name popped up on my screen. We've been talking quite frequently.

Every conversation we've had has been enjoyable. Although we are from two sides of the world with our mindsets I learned a lot from him. I learned a new side of him, I was wrong about him before.

He has a hard exterior, is introverted, and can come off as nonchalant but I can tell grief has turned him into that, I can tell deep down he didnt always used to be this way.

"Hey." I answered taking my braids from its tight ponytail, itching to go home and take a hot shower.

"What you doing?" He asked.

"Just finished the gym, you?" I asked pulling away from my school's parking lot. 

"Nothing really, chilling...You tryna' eat?"

I looked at the time on my phone before responding, "Yes, I have time. Let me just shower and we can meet somewhere?" I asked getting into my car.

"Yeah, Meet me at the chicken spot around where my mama live, You know what, I'll send you the address I forgot you aint no real Floridian." Divine joked along with a little laugh, that made me smile.

The more he cracked jokes, and the more we talked and the more I could feel him opening up. It was a pleasure to witness.

"Hey, I'm getting there. Don't judge me for being a Georgia peach." I responded cranking my car up.

"You cant help it, but ill teach you the ropes of the 305, dont worry."

"Whatever, I'll be there soon."

We ended our conversation before I started heading to the apartment. I showered, and refreshed my braids with hair mousse and edge control, along with applying a little makeup.

I wasn't very particular about my outfit, wanting to look cute, but not like I was trying too hard. After all, this isn't a date. Just two friends meeting up for lunch. I told myself I didn't care to impress him.

Even though, it wouldn't hurt for him to think that I looked cute.

I then shook my head at the thought, he probably doesn't even look at me that way, we are sort of like family we basically share an aunt.

What am I even thinking? I cringed at myself and continued to get dressed.

I decided on a plain white, short-sleeved tee paired with a light grey bubble coat due to the chilly weather, along with blue mom jeans.  I tugged on some ankle-length Nike socks and stepped into a pair of white New Balance sneakers. I placed on my cross-body Louis Vuitton purse and accessorized with my usual James Avery jewelry, necklaces, charm bracelet, and rings with a grey knitted skully hat.

After a couple of spritzes of perfume, I was out of the door.

The smell of hot fried chicken filled my nose as I walked into the restaurant. I spotted Divine typing on his phone in a booth near the back of the establishment. I took a deep breath befroe approaching him, he was just too damn handsome.

He was wearing a black graphic tee, with a black baseball cap. The big watch that sat on his tattooed arm glistened in the light along with his beautiful dark brown skin.

I noticed the freshly lined-up beard and had to look away because I felt myself staring too hard.

He smirked when he saw me and got up and dapped me up, "Glad you could finally make it, champ."