CHAPTER 2 - the family dinner

"well, we have turkey with stuffing, pudding, mashed potatoes, gravy, and for dessert, apple pie!" laura says, getting all the ingredients out. i get up and help laura get the remaining ingredients out, kate walking towards the kitchen to help. "let's start with the turkey and stuffing first, that's gonna take the longest." laura says, marinating the turkey.

after a few hours of cooking the food, it's finally done. lila, nathaniel and cooper set the table as me, clint, laura and kate cooked the food. we lay all the food on the round dinner table and everyone sits down. "i'm sooo hungry!" nathan says, sitting down on his chair. i decide to get drinks while everyone sits down, so i get 7 cups, a bottle of coke from the fridge and a wine bottle. i close the fridge and head to the table and place to drinks and cups down. i scan the seats to see who i'm sitting next to and there's a spare seat between cooper and kate. i pour 2 coke glasses for lila and nathan and give it to them, then turn to my left to face cooper. "wine or coke?" i ask him. "uh, coke, please." i nod and pour him a cup of coke and give it to him, getting a thanks in return. i pour 2 glasses of wine for clint and laura who say thanks. "wine or coke?" i ask kate who thinks for a bit. "wine, please." i pour her a glass of wine and get myself some wine too. "thanks." she says, drinking a bit of the wine. "aren't you a little young for wine?" clint asks, a smirk on his face. "i'm 22! stop teasing me, you know i'm old enough!" kate says, laughing. clint chuckles before digging into the turkey. so she's only a year older than me. god, why am i thinking about this? 

after eating dinner, i start to wash up the plates. "need help?" kate asks me. "uh yeah that'd be great, could you just grab that tea towel and wipe them away and put them in those cabinets?" i say eyes focused on the dishes but pointing my right hand in the direction of the cabinet and moving my middle and ring finger to shoot a web purely out of my wrist. THWIP! the sound makes, causing the cabinet door to open and kate lets out a huge gasp. "OH MY GOD! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?" she asks, totally shocked. "here come the questions..." i mumble, continuing the dishes. " think of me like spider-man, but a little more secretive and the webs actually come out of my wrists instead of a gadget." (also yes ik tobeys come out of his wrists but in this story it's tom hollands spider-man) "dude thats so sick!" kate says, starting to pack the dishes. "yeah, it's gotten me in a lot of shit though." i say. "clint told me about the sacrifices you have to make, it sucks a lot." kate replies, sitting down at the dinner table after she packed the few dishes away.

after talking to kate for a bit at the dinner table, i finish the dishes and check the time, and it's 11:30pm. "oh shoot! i need to clean my cuts." kate says, standing up to the first aid kit on the counter and bringing it back to the table and sitting down. "god, clint never told me how to clean them." kate says, looking at everything in the kit. "i can do it for you." i say, standing up and walking closer to her. "do you know how to do it?" she asks, nervously. "almost better than clint, i've done it heaps of times." i say, getting the necessities i need to sterilise her cut.

kate's pov

after y/n gets what she's gonna use, she moves closer to me. as my legs are a little parted on the chair, y/n rests her knee in between them, on the chair to steady herself. i tense up as she moves even closer. she removes the bandaid off and puts it on the table. "this is gonna sting a little, just hold still." she says, slightly whispering. she begins to put some antibiotic on it and it stings a little, and i let out an inhaled gasp between my teeth. after a few seconds, she gets another bandaid and sticks it on my nose, resting her fingers on my cheek and using both her thumbs to lightly press the bandaid on the side. she moves on to the cut diagonally above my eyebrow, doing the same procedure. but firstly, she moves my bangs and tucks it behind my ear. eyes focused on the cut, she takes it off and adds the antibiotic, still stinging. i scrunch my eyes from the sting and she chuckles. she then puts the new bandaid on it. "is that all of them?" y/n asks, knee still in between my thighs, resting on the chair. "y-yeah, thanks." i say. "no prob-" y/n says, but she's cut off.

"what's up y/n?" the voice of cooper says, and y/n gets her knee off the chair and places the antibiotic back in the kit and places it back where i found it. "hi cooper." she replies, tone normal. "listen i know you're moving to the tower soon but i just wanna say i do really like you, and i think we should give it a chance." cooper says, and my breath hitches. what does he mean, give it a chance? "cooper i told you, i don't do relationships, especially since what happened last time..." she y/n trails off, head low. "plus, you're not really my type." she says and cooper sighs. "you need to let what happened go, y/n! it's in the past, just let go of it." he says, leaning against the fridge. "you can't just say that, cooper. you haven't lost anyone, let alone losing them in your arms." y/n says, and i can tell she's affected by cooper's words. "yeah whatever, night." cooper says, before walking back to his room. y/n takes a deep sigh, before sitting next to me again.

y/n's pov

"what happened?" kate asks, cautiously. "with what?"  i say, fiddling with a coin on the table. "about why you won't... date." i take a deep sigh, never ready to answer that question without replaying the memory in my head. "you don't have to answer, sorry if i was being so upfront about it." she says, lowering her voice. "no it's fine, i just lost my girlfriend. she was falling from a clock tower, arms desperate to reach me. i dived down, webbed her stomach, but i was too late. the impact from the fall was too much." i say, lowering my head. "but cooper's right, i need to move on." "i'm sorry y/n, i really am. no one has to go through that, especially your age." kate assures me with a smile. "how old are you, by the way?" she asks. "21." i reply. "oh you're younger than me." "yeah but i turn 22 in a few weeks, but it's almost 12, i should go to bed, don't wanna ruin my sleep schedule again." i say, getting up and quietly tucking the chair in.
"yeah, me too." kate says, following me. we reach the guest room where i've been staying, which consists of a queen sized bed. "pick your side of the bed." i say, and kate takes a moment to think. "right side." she says, and i nod my head. "do you have clothes?" "yeah i've got a few for like 2 days." "cool, i'm gonna brush my teeth, you can get changed in here."

i get in the ensuite bathroom and brush my teeth. i come out and kate's in black sweatpants and a crop top, laying in bed on her phone. i lay next to her, giving us a safe distance in between and she gets up and brushes her teeth. moments later, she comes out, turns off the bathroom light and lays back in bed. "god it's cold." kate says, pulling the blanket up to her shoulders. i smile and reply. "yeah it is." "goodnight y/n, sweet dreams." "goodnight kate." my eyes close, sending me to sleep.
a/n - please remember to vote!!