Goodbyes - 39

Nonchalant feelings are all that is felt when Albedo sets his eyes on the mountain. It's almost distant, funny how his feelings have changed over the course of his time with the Cavalry Captain.

He grips onto his bag and heads up. His footsteps crunch against the snow as he looks around for anything out of the ordinary. He has memorized the layout of Dragonspine almost to perfection, spending pretty much all his time here anyway. Footsteps, other than his own, lead to a secluded part of the mountain at the lower end of it.

He slides down the side and spreads his glider, carefully making his way down. It's colder when it's much lower, icicles tower above him and could fall at any second. But these death defying objects have no affect on him, he moves with ease.

He stops, crouching to stay out of sight. Figures in the distance and they are conversing.

"Yes, of course. Their Royal Highness must be overjoyed."

"Not exactly, that spy did not do what she was meant to. We had given her the injections but she did not use a single one. Useless really."

The other chuckles maniacally, "I'm truly surprised that she even dared to take on the job, she must really want something from their highness."

Albedo grits his teeth, he can't reveal himself. He can't risk that.

"I hear you." Another voice booms from above.

The lowly other two immediately shut their mouths, clearly intimidated.

"You do not speak of other subordinates in such a manner, or would you like to take on the job she does?"

Albedo can tell, it's the other twin talking. Their voice scarily like the Traveler's, but empty and full of anger.

"Yes, we promise." They excuse themselves and start to walk away.

"Wait," The twin says.

Albedo holds his breath.

"Someone is here."

The Alchemist didn't know when he started running but his legs were moving. The snow giving away his tracks but he didn't want to stop. Their gaze is sharp and pierced right through him when they looked his way.

He can sense the two subordinates were at his tail. There were a million thoughts swarming his mind, it suddenly stopped, his head throbbing. He must've been hit, it hurt.

————————————

There was a bright light, his eyes failing him as he tries to open them. He blinks, over and over until finally registering his surroundings.

"Good morning," their voice punches through his gut.

The other twin sits across from him, their arms hanging off the chair as if completely calm. Their face is a different story, void of emotion and compassion for anything around them.

"What do you want with me?" He tries to get up to stand over them, his arms and feet bound to the chair which prevents him from doing so.

"I told you, I'm a simple person and I'm direct. I don't like to repeat myself."

"But why, why make others suffer for your goals?" He can't wrap his head around this individual, they are unlike anyone he had ever met.

"I've suffered enough by them, it's my turn to repay the favor," They get up, walked slowly over to him and put a hand on his shoulder. Their fingernails dig into his shoulder, "So do what you were created to do. Don't try to 'fix' something when it was never broken to begin with."