Just Out of Reach - 42

Diluc is not stupid, he's been doing his own research. He's always done his own things in his own ways. It was significantly much more difficult to get information this time around, the abyss had been taking more precautions which made them all the more suspicious.

He didn't know that all of the information would fall into his lap so easily.

When he saw Sucrose, an instinct told him to get his sword and strike her down if she were to do any harm. But she was downright terrified. He knew deep down that she was being genuine and from the shape she was in, who was to say she could even try to harm him?

So he listened, every word ingrained in his mind. The torture, the curse, Albedo and his origins, his mother, the enabling of the curse and what the abyss seems to be up to. He didn't let her stop as she rambled on and on, her voice chocking as she sobs the words out.

"I-I'm sorry, I wanted to t-tell Sir Kaeya..." she wipes her eyes but they won't stop, "H-he must hate me, they all- all of you must hate me."

Diluc pulls her into a tight embrace, "Stop, I don't know how to comfort people when they cry but don't say things like that. You did what you had to, to survive."

She grasps at the back of his cloak and lets herself go, she wails and it's like everything is spilling over a glass that's been cracked over time.

"I'll find Kaeya, can you go inform Master Jean?" He pulls her away and looks into her eyes.

"I-I'm sorry, they're after me. They won't let me go that far. I might die now but I can't let Mister Albedo suffer any longer. It's my fault after all." She sniffles but smiles, it's the saddest thing Diluc had ever seen, "If he makes it out please tell him that I'm sorry and that he shouldn't blame himself for my outcome. I brought this upon myself, my fate is in their hands now."

The red-headed man grimaces, standing up, "You are not going to die."

"But they can find me, it isn't worth it. Really, from the start I've failed trying to find the one person I wanted to find. Now I've failed the friends that were already here," she whispers. Diluc can't bear to look at her face, she leans down and her hair covers her eyes.

"Your life matters, just like everyone else. I'm taking you to the headquarters, we are telling Jean everything."

Before the apprentice could protest, Diluc hauls her on his back. As much as she doesn't want to, his grip is strong and she's too weak to fight back.

Her body goes slack against his, the exhaustion she must've felt when she was running must've finally caught up to her. It didn't take long until Diluc opened the headquarter doors and knocked on Master Jean's office door.

"I'm a bit busy Lisa! But I appreciate the knocking first."

Diluc rolls his eyes, "It's me, you know she never knocks."

Jean opens the door, "Honestly I was being hopeful but I figured- oh my gods." She is taken aback at the sight of Sucrose. Her eyes are frantic and she quickly ushers them inside.

"Don't let Rosaria see her, she'll kill her," Jean hissed, her tone indicating worry and immense stress.

"She's come to tell you everything, it might help with the investigation. I'm sure Kaeya would appreciate the information," he states, setting Sucrose down on a chair.

The apprentice's eyes droop and she's seemingly lost in a daze, sleep must have escaped her for a long while.

"Maybe she needs to rest," Jean offers but Sucrose perks up.

"No time, I can stay awake for a little longer but..." she stares out the window, "I'm almost out of time."

Diluc stares at her grimly and Jean can only be filled with more anxiety.