The Comfort of Another - 10

For every minute that ticks by, Kaeya looks worse and worse. This condition, though not uncommon, can still lead to detrimental symptoms. Albedo is trying to avoid the worst-case scenario but Sucrose isn't back yet.

It's very dark now, probably around 21:00 (9pm), the Apprentice should have been back already.

Albedo is pacing the room, his anxious steps are loud within the lab and he's thinking. He's thinking of what to do. The Captain is still fast asleep but his breaths are shallow and his chest gets tight sometimes.

"Come on, think," Albedo tells himself, though his options have run thin. All he can do is wait, and he isn't feeling very patient at the moment.

"Mm-" The Captain makes a tiny noise, quick and sharp. Albedo sits down next to him to see if there's anything he needs, probably warmth. Kaeya doesn't stir for a little until he reaches out his hand to grab the Alchemist's arm. His movements are slow and his hand feels so cold.

"Are you there..." he mutters.

"Not going anywhere, do you need some hot water?" Albedo asks.

"No..." Kaeya then puts Albedo's hand on his own cheek and rests his head on it. Feeling the warmth from the Alchemist's hand.

Albedo flushes red at the sudden contact before realizing that the Captain has the chills. "I need to get you something to drink." Albedo protests but Kaeya does not waver.

"Stay." The word is simple but it keeps Albedo rooted at the spot. The Captain doesn't seem to be entirely aware of what he's doing, but when that's the case he gets bold. So bold in fact that Albedo feels embarrassed, flushed, and most of all confused.

The Alchemist needs words in a book or lectures about what emotions mean, and even then he wouldn't entirely understand. And other people just make emotions all the more confusing. Being in this state of being, perceived as another human being. Alive but not quite alive can be exhausting for the Alchemist. Sometimes he thinks humans themselves are more inhumane than what humans are supposed to be, like Kaeya.

Kaeya seems to be from another world, he's so unreadable. But it's charming, Albedo thinks.

"Oh gods." Albedo mumbles to himself, he can't be thinking this way. He needs to focus, work and alchemy. That's all he needs, nothing more. But he wants more, he longs for more than a simple and scheduled life.

It scares him to no end, he's wanted to run from the moment the Captain walked into his workplace upon the mountain.

But he didn't.

Now look where they are, he's fine. And the Captain is not.

The Archons are cruel, they seem to make Albedo's life unruly and depressing to say the least. He has been cursed with a fate that he thinks will be the end of Mondstadt and wherever he steps feels like a landmine.

Though this is the case, Kaeya never blamed him for any of it. Or maybe he does, he just doesn't mention it. And then Albedo gets a pit in his stomach. Does he feel that way? Maybe Kaeya does feel like this is all a burden.

The Alchemist owes him so much but only makes things worse by the days and it makes him feel horrible. He should've just shut him out, kept to himself. Should've told Klee to go back to Mondstadt and catch fish in the much better climate. He didn't have to hurt anyone, he didn't have to worry. But misfortune has its twisted ways to hurt, and it does hurt. So much in fact that the only way he can make himself feel better is to shut the world out.