Chapter 8

Reia

I've been given the tour of their headquarters and Xander, Atticus, and I are back in my room.

Turns out we're in a building bigger than I've ever seen at the edge of the capital. The façade is white marble like the stories said and like all the other buildings surrounding us. There's a single tree nearby that has caught my attention. The twisted and tangled ropes of wood are as white as the marble surrounding it and the leaves are a dark navy color.

I had been studying our surroundings when the two guys knocked on my door this morning. The city looks beautiful and stretches further than I could see. I have yet to find a quick way to leave this place just in case though since I'm on the second floor of the building and my window does not open. Locked, of course, it is. I could break it but that must make a lot of noise, ensuring my escape would be less than discrete.

Multiple floors! I can't get it through my head.

The injustice makes me angry. While most of our nation is killing each other for food and has no roof over its heads, the people of Kiriodo live like kings.

I have yet to meet the other members of the Rebels but no one seems to be in a hurry to introduce me.

"We've told you about ourselves so how about you return the favor." I stay silent and Xander sees it as an invitation to ask a question. It wasn't.

"You're unmarked. How?" His eyes drift to my wrist and I instinctively turn it away.

"I've been told I had been tested and had no powers," I say curtly. Did my mother lie to me or did the test fail?

"How long have you known differently?"

"Fourteen days."

"What are your powers?"

"You've seen them."

"Anything I don't know of yet?"

"I know as much as you do." Admitting it leaves a bitter taste on my tongue. I know as little about these powers of mine as this stranger before me. Xander studies me and I can feel Atticus' gaze burn into the side of my skull. Finally, Xander smiles his comforting smile.

"We can help you discover and learn about them."

"How? As far as I know, there's never been anyone bonded to Scotus."

"For now we'll just assume it's similar to Aether. So far, the powers seem to have a lot in common. What you did after you woke up, for example, fading into the darkness and disappearing, works the same for Atticus here. Same but different, I guess, since he'll disappear into the light instead of the shadows. We can help you." I'm staring at Atticus now.

"You're gifted by Aether?" I ask. I get the feeling he doesn't want to answer but Xander looks at him sternly. I still can't figure out the power dynamic between them.

"Yes," he simply says.

"That's impossible. The last useful person bound to Aether lived centuries ago." The smallest of smiles tugs at the unfriendly guy's lips. I'm embarrassed to admit it but it's making my breath catch. He's a lot more beautiful than I'd like to admit.

"People are supposed to think that," he simply states.

"You'll have to pass a few tests and prove your trustworthiness but then we'd be more than happy to welcome you into the family." My eyes shoot to Xander. Family. It takes my all not to recoil. Family means nothing. I don't have one and I don't want a new one.

As if Xander knew he was losing me he keeps talking. "The tests are simple and we'd already start training you before you've passed all of them. Today, if you wish. Do we have a deal?"