Chapter 12

Xander

Layla, Sorin, Calista, and I are sitting in the meeting room while the others are sleeping.

"I don't like it. Did you see how he touched her in that alley?" Layla says.

"He's just curious about her. I can feel it when he looks at her," I try to calm her even though I'm not sure of my words. Layla is always worried about her brother and it tends to make her do impulsive things. We don't need that.

"Which is all the time," Sorin points out.

"He's trying to figure her out. He doesn't want us in danger and she is sleeping under the same roof."

"I don't want her around him," Layla insists.

"Who? What are you guys talking about?" Atticus enters the meeting room as quietly as a cat and I curse myself for not feeling his approach. I'm about to serve him some excuse when Sorin speaks up.

"You. And the girl." He adds it like an afterthought and I scowl at him. He knows her name.

"What about me?" Atticus asks indifferently.

"You attacked that guy in the alley. For her," Calista says though she doesn't seem to care much.

"Yes? He made a move against one of us. I went easy on him." He shrugs. I wouldn't call breaking his nose for nothing more than a comment going easy on him but what are details, right?

"She is not one of us," Sorin seethes.

"We want her to trust us so I did what I'd do for any of you. Now go to bed, idiots." He leaves, knowing damn well we'll follow.