Chapter 66

Xander

I look around the city square, taking in the happy emotions of the people surrounding me and I can't help but smile to myself. Atticus would be proud of us.

The fight against the governors was three months ago. After Rei's speech, she disappeared into the shadows, leaving a stunned crowd behind. After that, everything passed in a blur. Some soldiers came to our side, saying things I hardly processed before leaving for Durgoda. The general stayed with us as we led the guards back to the capital.

Telling Layla when she finally woke up was probably the hardest thing I'd ever had to do. After the initial screaming and crying, she started blaming herself and I had no idea how to make it better.

Despite our grief, we started setting plans into motion. Figuring out how to make sure all our citizens are well fed, protected, and have a roof over their heads. It wasn't as hard as it should have been or maybe Atticus was just brilliant at making plans.

I look to my right and grab Layla's hand. She smiles at me even as a tear rolls down her cheek.

"I wonder if she knows," Naiara breaks the silence.

"I'm sure she does." Reia hasn't shown herself again and even though it breaks my heart to have lost her as well, I don't blame her. We all had to figure out what would help us go on and while for the rest of us it was coming home to finish what we'd been dreaming of for years, for Reia it wasn't. I guess sometimes it's too painful to come back and there's nothing left to do but start over elsewhere.

Still, part of us was hopeful enough to prepare a room for her if she ever decides to come back.