Chapter 55

Xander

I feel dirty. I sensed the mayor's growing unease and used my words to manipulate him. He was damn right to ask for more information but instead of being upfront, which would have certainly left us with no deal, we lied about our chances to win this fight. Now the mayor's guards, Lin and Jacky if I caught that right, are leading all seven of us to meet the mayor in a different room of the building.

We haven't had time to catch up with Rei, Layla, Sorin, and Naiara but they didn't seem surprised when we returned only to leave as a group again. We'll talk later.

I marvel at the architecture of the Durgodans again. Unlike the first floor, the second we're on now nearly screams royalty. Instead of doors, wide arches connect the halls to the rooms. Unlike the sun-like light our lanterns give off, up here their rooms are bathed in cooler tones that match the world outside. If I ever got the chance, I'd like to learn more about that. Until then, I need to focus.

We've arrived at our destination and take our seats at the round table where the mayor and another person are already seated. The old man thankfully seems to have calmed a bit.

"Here they are. Rebels, this is my advisor May," he introduces. May smiles pleasantly as we introduce ourselves, letting her eyes linger only when we get to Reia.

"It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Norbert has told me about your intentions so how about we get straight to the point? What kind of numbers did you have in mind?" the advisor asks.

Reia snorts and it's so unlike herself the rest of us turn her way. She says something that sounds dangerously close to Norbert under her breath and the mayor seems to notice. His face turns red and his eyes murderous but before he can say anything, I do.

"Excuse my friend. It's been a long journey," I quickly excuse.

"How many soldiers do you have ready?" Calista diverts the attention back to the former conversation.

"Durgoda is a peaceful city, inhabited mostly by regular citizens rather than soldiers. We have an army but it's been a while since we've had to use it. Still, many could be of assistance with a little training."

"We're on a rather tight timetable. Things at the capital are escalating, innocents are being executed on the streets as we speak," Naiara insists and it takes all my willpower not to gape at her. People being executed? What is she talking about? However, only Calista, Atticus, and I seem surprised so I wonder how the others got to this information while we were gone.

"Indeed? Word of that hasn't reached us yet but it does sound truly horrifying. I think our current army consists of 150? 180 maybe," May says while I quickly run the numbers through my head. In the end, it's Calista I turn to.

"What do you say?" I ask her.

"Are they any good? We're not going to endanger 180 citizens if they're no match for the guards at the capital." The mayor seems near outraged by our strategic' words.

"I beg a little more respect! We are not to be perceived as a bunch of lazy weaklings. Our army is as good as any if not better," Norbert insists.

"Very well," I say. "We'd like to stay here to gather our strength for the way back. Meanwhile, we could figure out a plan to get the troops to the capital without being seen and attacked too early. Perhaps we could speak to your general?" I ask. I'd like to get out of here before the mayor finally snaps.

"Very well. We'll arrange a meeting. How does tomorrow sound? That way the seven of you could get some sleep," responds the advised.

"That sounds good. Are there any inns we could stay in? We can pay, of course."

"We don't get many visitors here but Lin will show you where you can stay," says the old man before he dismisses us and we leave after the grey-haired guard.

As soon as we're out of the building I let myself fall behind to speak to Naiara.

"Public executions?" I ask.

"Reia tried to let us spy on your conversation but the shadows told us something else instead. We heard the governors speak with Layla's dad. Let's talk about it at the inn." I nod to myself. That might explain Reia's uncharacteristic behavior. It must have tired her out.

When I look for the girl in our little group, I find her speaking to Lin. I'm about to rush over when I catch Atticus' eyes. He's walking a few steps behind them, looking tired and grim but his expression tells me no one's about to get killed so I relax a tad. I'm guessing my friend is just jealous she speaks to the stranger rather than him.

In the meantime, Naiara has picked up a conversation with her girlfriend. Not wanting to interrupt them, I catch up with Layla.

"How's it going?" I ask, thinking it's been way too long since I've seen her smile.

"I'm managing. What about you?" She attempts a smile but it's a sad try. I grab her hand.

"This place is good for me. Beautiful, isn't it? We have to come back here once all of this is over."

"I'd like that. For now, I'll be happy to take a really long nap in an actual bed," she says.

"What? You're not going to miss the wet, frozen ground to sleep on? You monster," I exclaim dramatically, actually getting a soft laugh in return. Gods, I forgot what a beautiful sound that was.

"We'll be fine, Layla. A little longer and we're done."