Chapter 18

Reia

It's been two weeks without anyone speaking of what happened at my second test. I planned on leaving multiple times now but each time either Atticus or Naiara distracted me until the moment passed. I don't understand why I'm still here, I could have found a way to escape had I really tried. Now, look at me, eating dinner alone in my room since I'm still refusing to spend my time with them apart from training. Xander insisted on keeping it up so I've been meeting him every single day since the test. I remember the way he pleaded with me the first day, remember the satisfaction I felt when I told him to get to his knees and beg and his eyes went wide like saucers. I didn't expect him to actually do it but he did. Knelt before my bed with a resigned look in his eyes. My powers went wild with joy.

I budged only because I wanted to learn more about my powers. I did. Skies know I did. I can channel them whenever I want and they respond to my every command.

Once, the group brought back a prisoner from one of their missions and I was allowed to test some things out on him. Turns out that when I use just a fraction of my power on a certain body part I can make only that wither and die. You couldn't imagine the way my new toy shrieked. Finally, if I order it into a rope it works well for strangling people with great efficiency.

I've been training on my own in my room as well. I can blend in with the shadows easily now and even managed to take Xander with me once. That's exhausting though.

Today, I decided to pass my time with a book. I'm still not great at reading but it's getting better and I find I'm quite fond of taking a break from this reality every once in a while.

I try not to think about the second test but I can't stop Dex's face from appearing in my mind's eye every once in a while. I wonder where he is now. How he's doing. Gods, please keep him safe.

-

I'm pretty sure it's well after midnight when there's urgent knocking on my door. I don't get to tell the person to piss off before the door opens and a body collapses on my floor. I jump to my feet, my throat going dry.

"Xander, what's wrong?" The man rolls to his side and looks up at me with some difficulty. Where he lay is now a big splotch of red on the floor. Blood. I crouch down at his side and press my hand on the bleeding wound on his stomach.

"What happened?" I ask again. His eyes are heavily lidded and I can tell he's starting to lose consciousness.

"They're here. They have them. You need to go, they don't know you're here. Leave," he says hoarsely. I don't understand.

"What are you talking about? Who's here and where are the others?" Layla's healing powers would be useful right about now.

"They have them. Leave!" he says more forcefully. I study his pale and sweaty face for a moment and remember the warm smile he used to give me. I close my eyes and groan.

"Where are they?" I still don't know who's been able to attack the rebels in their own headquarters and without me noticing but I guess I'll find out. They might be bastards but, in the end, they're my bastards to kill.

"They'll kill you too," Xander insists but he's not very convincing slurring his words like this. I smile at him as my powers start humming in my bones. They want to come out and play. They want to kill again.

"Where are they?" I repeat, a strange calm and confidence cursing through me.

"Cellar," Xander gives in.

"Don't die while I'm gone. Shouldn't be too long." I leave my room with silent, determined steps and head for the cellar. The lights are all off but I can hear some pained groaning and heavy breathing from downstairs. I'd prefer to be able to see where I'm going but I'm not scared as I sneak down the stairs. I try to follow the sounds when any noise suddenly disappears.