19 The Battle Has Begun

Chapter 19

- - - - - - - - - - Time Skip to the Invasion - - - - - - - - - -

The past few months provided no information on Xavier. Jacob normally was with his second year friends, but occasionally he and I would sneak out after hours to the demigod dorms. One night as exams approached, Jacob and I sat on the couch in front of the fire. The demigod dorms were quiet as the wind howled outside. Jacob was lounging, while I lay with my head in his lap. His hands played with my hair as we spoke. For a while we have been getting closer to each other. To be honest, I feel like we could be family because we know so much about each other. No one else knew that we snuck out at nights, not even Alisa and Raven. Earlier that evening as I was about to leave my dormitory to meet Jacob, when Hermione had come to talk to me. She and the rest of Dumbledore's Army was patrolling the hall tonight. They had received a warning that an attack was to be expected at any moment tonight. She had given me one of the Galleons that were messengers so that I would know when the attack begun. I made her promise to come after so I could be sure that she was alright. After she had left, I debated on telling Jacob to stay in his dormitory tonight and not meet me. Instead I pushed the doubt aside.

The glow of the firelight cast shadows throughout the room. Each of the doors were closed, and the various torches in the room were put out to dim the lights in the room. If Caleb saw the room as it was now, he would probably tease us and say we would do better than to have any make-out sessions. I will never understand that boy. We were talking about where Jacob would go when summer came, when suddenly the castle shook around us. We both jumped and Jacob cried out in alarm. I sat up and wrapped my arms around him. He embraced me tightly in fear. I tried to keep my voice calm as I told him what Hermione had told me. Dust fell from the ceiling as the castle continued to shake. The flames in the fire waved and the light flickered around us. I heard spells be shout out, and screams emitted from the victims. We waited as the terrible noise continued to come through the walls. Each scream was a person that had been hurt, and each laugh was a death eater claiming victory. My eyes pricked with tears as I listened to the havoc around us. Who would die tonight? Who would never laugh, talk, or cry in this world again? Yet, I could hear Jacob whispering in my ear comforting words. If Hermione was to die tonight, I would not be prepared to tell my parents. My world would end, and I would decline any comfort.

Suddenly I tore away from Jacob's arms. He yelled for me to come back, but I did not listen. I drew out my wand as I ran out of the demigod dorms. There was no one in the hall that I could see. Dust was everywhere as I ran to find her. I knew that I must find Hermione. My thoughts were centered on finding my sister, and only that. I knew that at that moment I would do almost anything to have her by my side. A figure in billowing robes flew in front of me, and I turned towards the direction it had come from. There were more men and students in this corridor. Death Eaters fought, aiming to kill. Shouts arose, and one by one the Death Eaters flew from the scene. I screamed Hermione's name endlessly. A girl with fiery red hair ran towards me and shouted over the noise. I could not hear a word she said though. In desperation to find my sister, I tore from the girl's grasp and fled down the halls. I could hear the shouts of students protesting as I ran by. All of the Death Eaters had disappeared from the castle as far as I could see.

I ran through the doors of the entrance hall out into the night air. A crowd had developed under one of the towers of Hogwarts. I ran towards them as other people began to come as well. I tore through the bodies of students and teachers alike. There was the sound of sobbing, and whispers of comfort throughout the mass of people. I continued to struggle through the bodies. A hand pulled me back. I was looking into Jacob's eyes as he tried to pull me away. I heard only the pounding of blood through my veins as I wretched from his grasp and flung myself back into the fray. Fought to get to the middle and see my sister. Hermione was all I cared about at the moment. The moonlight shone between the tall bodies of people I fought. I fell to the ground to avoid the grasping hands that attempted to pull me back. As I crawled through the legs of mourners, I could feel tears cascading down my face. When I thought that I was close enough, I stood. Ahead of me I saw Professor McGonagall. Right in front of her, I saw Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley. I was near enough to see that a corpse lay on the ground, unmoving. I felt a body collide with mine, and bushy hair fell into my face from the person that embraced me. I gave out one last sob, and croaked out the only thing I wanted at the time.

"Hermione."