20 Last Respects

Chapter 20

Someone picked me up and carried me back into the castle. There was two pairs of footsteps, I could tell that Jacob was with me. Soon we were in a hidden corridor, and someone put me down. I rubbed my eyes to clear my vision. When I blinked the blurriness out of my sight, I saw Hermione crouching before me. I cried out in joy, and flung myself upon her. As my tears slowed to a stop, and my hiccups had subsided, Hermione withdrew herself.

"I told you that I would come to you afterwards. You were supposed to stay in your dormitory. And who is this boy?" She gestured to Jacob. I looked at my feet ashamedly.

"This is Jacob Tatlock, a second year Gryffindor. I came because I thought you were dead."

"Oh Catherine. There is no way that I will ever leave you."

"Wait... There was a body. Who was it?"

"Cathy, Professor Dumbledore is dead." She looked at me sorrowfully. I gasped, and saw Jacob's eyes bulge out of his head.

"But Dumbledore," He gesticulated widely. "Dumbledore would never leave us. He's too powerful." Hermione turned to him.

"I doubt that any of us expected it. Everyone must die eventually, but this was his time to go. Stay strong for him next year. You both will have a new headmaster. Do not cross them. Next year will be hard."

"Aren't you going to be at Hogwarts for your last year?"

"You will know in time. Even I don't know yet." Footsteps sounded in the halls around us. "Go back to your dormitories, both of you. Be quiet and try not to disturb your friends." Hermione got up, and walked out into the mass of people. I stood there, watching as shoes shuffled by, and robes dragged on the floor. Jacob grabbed my hand, and we left together. We stunk past the older Gryffindors that we mourning in the common room. We parted ways before climbing the steps up to our dorms. When I entered the room, no one stirred. I crept silently to my bed, and extracted myself from my robes. The moonlight shone balefully through the windows. As I climbed into the sheets, one girl muttered, and turned away. I froze. There was no more movement. It took almost no time for me to fall into a dreamless sleep.

Only a few days later the funeral took place. Witches and wizards from all over were flocking into Hogsmead to pay their last respects. All students traveled in packs, and interactions were rare between years and houses. Jacob and I ceased to sneak out at nights. Exams were cancelled, and the train would leave shortly after. An hour before the funeral, Alisa, Caleb, Raven, Jacob, and I were in the demigod dorms establishing our summer. Jacob had informed us that Luke was sending a Pegasus to retrieve him. The rest of us were going to go to Camp Half-Blood. It was unsafe for Jacob to return there though, because of previous events. There was no talk of Xavier, and Kevin hadn't been seen for several weeks. I had asked Jacob to keep an eye out for both of the boys.

The funeral was sad, but we all had to leave. Jacob watched the five of us leave via floo powder, and I gave him a hug before going up into the flames.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

April 6, 2015

Ik its really short but its all I got. Check out Story Of Us when it comes out!

Luna ;)