Chapter 40 "Behind His Cold Facade"

Taehyun stood frozen. He couldn't decipher what else was he supposed to do now.

He thought everything was getting mended together. He really did thought he was so close to succeeding, thus, he never gave up and tried tons of ways to win her back.

"W-Why?" He meekly asked, "I thought we're getting near there, Y/n. I thought we're okay and you're fine with having me around here?"

Y/n looked away, she knew she'd be like this once overthinking affected her too much.

"Hey, look at me," Taehyun craned her head by gently gripping her jaw, making her look back. "We talked about this, right? I've been staying with you for over two weeks, you let me in and we've spent time together with the twins. I really thought things were going well now. I thought we're okay-"

Taehyun stopped when Y/n pulled away from him. His arms feeling empty now that there's a distance between them. When he looked at her eyes, he saw how the love was ruined all because of him.

"That's the problem with you, Taehyun," Y/n talked back, messing up her hair in frustration. "You always worry about your own thoughts! You never thought of what exactly I'm thinking and worrying about. You really thought buying us all the luxury would be satisfying enough for me to fall in love with you all over again? Is that what you call spending time? Basically bribing the twins which would also force me to just play along? I tell you what, Taehyun. All you did was bullshit!"

As far as he could remember, Y/n never raised her voice at him. This was definitely not by accident. She really meant all of it, made it loud enough for him.

He never wanted to show his weaker side but what she said made it difficult for him to talk. It was suffocating his heart as he thought of what he did, he didn't like how it clenched so much.

Was he not sincere enough?

He didn't know what to do. He thought she could see how genuine he was by pouring his love through buying them gifts and taking them to luxurious places.

"I didn't know you viewed it like that. I never thought you'd think like.." he slowly trailed off, seeming lost. "I didn't know what else to do but I did all of those to make up to you and the twins. I may have failed you again.. and again, but I really do want this to work. I want us to be together, you don't have to suffer through all this alone. Face it with me. Let me help you take back what rightfully belonged to you."

Y/n scoffed, "There's no need to." She paced around the room while running a hand through her hair. "You shouldn't be here in the first place actually. Yet again I'm late to realize that your words have always been filled with empty promises. I can't lie anymore and tell you that I'm comfortable in your presence."

Taehyun was a self-proclaimed anti-romantic and it nearly drove him crazy. Because in conclusion, his intentions were good and sincere, however, Y/n didn't seem to notice it for she thought about the opposite. He wanted them back and these past days were the times he felt the happiest after four dreadful years.

He searched for her and later found out they had twins and he knew right then that his responsibility increased. They belonged to him but right now, he asked himself if he truly had the right to call them his. His heart was reacting poorly at the thought of leaving them once again. He couldn't picture out the image of himself walking away and preventing himself to look back at them, knowing that he finally found home in their presence.

"It really would be better for us to go on our separate ways and never bother each other again." Y/n stated with her hollow voice.

He felt the lump in his throat getting painful. His mind quickly thinking of something that would be considered a mature thought or decision.