Chapter 41 "Not Always A Two-way Street"

"What the hell do you mean by that?"

Taehyun sighed stressfully. He was currently driving early in the morning when Soobin called him.

"We've already finished the third file and none of what's written there was connected to the first and the second one," Soobin stated from the other line.

"Those were the only files Y/n managed to gather while she was hiding years ago," Taehyun cursed inwardly before stepping on the gas and accelerating. "There's like four or five remaining files."

"I know." Soobin deadpanned, "None of these made any sense. I'm sure after we finish the whole folder, it's still a dead end."

"Alright. I'll just.. head back after we drop the twins at school."

When the call ended, Taehyun shook his head in annoyance. He knew that five days weren't enough if he was both still trying to win his family back and solving the forgotten case that happened for years ago. His eyelids felt so heavy and still he kept them open.

He already wasted all the hours yesterday by waking up very late when he could've brought them to the park or somewhere else that the twins could enjoy. Today's the second day and he aimed to be punctual. A material partner was always on time, right?

Upon arriving at the doorstep, he quickly knocked. Taehyun slapped his cheek to fully wake himself up, then rubbing his eyes after. He looked like shit and his stomach was rumbling.

When the door opened, a smile replaced his frown as Taemi and Hyunhee's figures crashed into his arms. He cooed and placed kisses on their faces, hugging their small frames gently.

"I missed you both," He muttered with a sad smile. "Did you miss appa as well?"

"Of course!" Hyunhee pouted while Taemi nodded vigorously.

Taehyun chuckled as he stood straight before locking eyes with Y/n. An awkward silence enveloped them. As much as Taehyun wanted to kiss her, he was smart enough to know that they no longer had a label for him to keep on freely doing it. He knew he shouldn't have even kissed her on the cheek or forehead during the previous days. He blamed himself for enjoying and being ignorant. He was too happy that he gave Y/n random kisses the past week. But now that she made it clear that she had no interest in getting back with him, he finally remembered his boundaries.

"Hi.." Taehyun softly spoke.

Y/n just nodded and turned around, "Breakfast."

Taehyun winced at the dryness before he pouted while closing the door. He carried the twins in both arms and put them down on their seats at the small dining. His heart finally felt the warmth he'd been longing when he realized that Y/n actually served the food he ordered last night. At the back of his mind, he was sad that only this very small gesture could make him happy, and now he's learning to just embrace it. Even if he knew this will only last for another three days.

When they started eating, the twins were talking about school and Taehyun fondly listened. He was a bit terrified to comment because Y/n was listening and he didn't want to make another mistake.

Y/n who was secretly observing him, couldn't help but keep on glancing at Taehyun's direction. Not again. There's no way she'd succumb to this illusion of her ex-husband, looking so sincere and determined. Taehyun had always been a liar and a man who couldn't fulfil his own words. Y/n will never be swayed again, she'll never allow him to hurt the twins by giving them false hope.

"Appa, when are we going back to Korea?"

Taehyun froze at that. Dang. How was he supposed to answer this?