Chapter 38

"Dysbarism*?" Zoro asked as he leant back against the wall in the old man's house. I was sitting on a box on the other side of the room; silently watching at Chopper treated Mr. Chestnut.

"Ah, you mean he's sick?" Luffy concluded.

"Yes, its various symptoms divers experience sometimes," Chopper explained as he put a wet cloth on the man's forehead. "But it's not a long term illness and should pass. It happens on a diver's descent, when excess nitrogen enters the body's blood and tissue. Then, on the ascent, the chemicals diffuse out in the form of bubbles, causing various symptoms."

"Yeah, weird sick stuff," Luffy said as he leant out of the closest window.

"He must have been diving every day and not letting the bubbles dissolve properly," Chopper continued.

"Why would he?" Nami questioned in confusion.

"I don't know why, but it's very dangerous," He responded. "In some cases it can be lethal."

BANG

"BOSS! ARE YOU ALRIGHT!" Two loud voices screamed as the door was smashed open. I jumped up in the air like a frightened cat, spinning around and aiming for the sick man's bed. I landed on the edge of his bed, facing the two idiotic monkeys whom had just about smashed down the house.

There was an awkward silence for a few seconds as everyone stared at each other, no one moving.

"AHHHH!" Usopp suddenly screamed, throwing his arms up in the air. "THEY'RE HERE TO KILL US!"

"AHHH!" Chopper joined in the screaming as he ran for it.

'Oh hell!' I growled mentally. 'I didn't realize I'd need have to have a banana ready this early…'

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE!" Mr. Vain yelled at us.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE BOSS!" The Ape ragged, throwing his fists up.

"We are taking care of him, so leave us alone!" Luffy answered rather calmly.

"THEY WON'T LISTEN! THEY ARE BEASTS! EVERYONE, ESCAPE THROUGH THE WINDOW!" Usopp panicked.

"THEY'RE SUCH GREAT GUYS!" Both apes called out, tears running down their face.

'They listened….' I gaped, blinking owlishly at their sudden attitude change.

"Do you two live out here too?"

"Actually our boss's home is also the headquarters of the 'United Primate Armed Forces'," Mr. Ape said to Luffy who was sitting on the table outside. The two apes were sitting the chairs and talking to him like they were all long lost friends. Usopp and Zoro had stationed themselves either side of the door.

I had gone outside as well to get out of everyone's road and to calm my social phobia that come on due to being in such a small space with so many people. I almost went to go sprawl myself over Zoro's legs, but I had to hold myself back when I remembered that he knew I was not a proper dog. I was not sure if I would ever do that to any of them again…

Instead I had ambled to a random patch of grass, flopping to the ground on my side.

"This house is too small for us," Mr. Orangutan laughed. "Whohohoho!"