2

December 1 1940
"Steve Rodgers." She smiled and leaned against the table offering her hand which he shook."Desume Monroe."

Steve looked flustered as the woman let go of his hand and opened the magazine she had been reading.

Of course it was now a bit more common for a women to read and do things like that after the jobs became open because of the war.

That didn't mean she was confident about doing it since there were still many men not fond of women working 'men's' jobs.

"You know I like that book too." Steve whispered with a grin.

-

December 15 1940
"Oh how magnificent." I praised clapping my hands. At the moment I was standing at my door with a bundle of roses.

Smelling them I set them on the table next to me."Oh do come in it's just freezing out there."

My soft southern accent fell out as I rushed to the kitchen to make some tea."Your home is absolutely beautiful Desume."

I melted at Steves voice. I felt for him especially since he wanted to be in the army so bad despite his bodily condition.

"I can agree your quite the decorator." Bucky spoke she could already see his smile."Dont you dare walk in my house with those boots James Barnes."

I threatened from the kitchen my voice echoing."Yes maim." My lip quirked upwards as I fixed a tea tray.

"Steve you too honey." I was always a bit softer towards him. That was just how I was.Turning around I walked to my sitting room.

Pale green couches grey arm chairs and mahogany tables. My walls were a pale brown making everything feel earthy and comfortable.

Soon the two joined me both sitting across front me in the armchairs. They both were always such gentlemen.

"Your visit was unannounced is there a reason or you just missing me too much?" I teased bringing my cup to my lips.

Both seemed to chuckle at my small joke. But I could see it. Something was wrong."Bucky is going to be deployed in 12 months."

I choked on my tea. Remembering my manners I cleaned my lips with a napkin. Then I cracked a smile.

"Thats great im glad he can fight for our country." I knew it was a lie. But I couldn't let him know that.

I was devastated even after the wonderful 2 weeks I've experienced with them I wished it could be a little longer.

"Doll you don't have to pretend I understand if your not happy but don't hide your tears."I felt my throat grow sore from the water building in my tear ducts.

But I held it back."Nonsense im fine Buck now tell me how was your luck today Steve." By the look on his face I knew.

But I asked him everytime we saw one another cause I would never give up on him. Even if it made me sad.

I dealt with it. If both of my soul mates had to be off in the war so be it. I would stay strong and support them.

"I failed again but not as bad." I clapped my hands."Oh wonderful I was just reading and I have the perfect thing."

I say excited getting up and disappearing into the kitchen. Sometimes I wondered if they ever got tired of me.

Most men wanted a tame female who did what she was told and didn't read books. But times are changing.

Grabbing my salve I made I walk back to the living room forgetting what's tucked into the box.