9

December 1, 1941
It hit me so fast I could have never prepared for it. The day yellows and oranges turned to greys and blacks.

I had found myself chasing him out in the rain. Just 5 minutes before he had to leave. My bare feet hit the sidewalk.

I uncaringly tackled him into a hug. He picked me up and spun me. We didn't want to let go of each other, not for a second.

Didn't mean we had a choice. I cried my tears melting into my skin as I tried my best to not kiss him, but at the time I wished I had.

I couldn't even say his name. I couldn't utter a single word. It would waste time. So I hugged him for as long as I could before he let go.

Placing me on the floor he tipped his hat and walked off. Leaving me to watch him with tears running down my cheeks.

He didn't look back at me. Knowing that if he did, he wouldn't leave, and he had to. He needed to serve our country.

Selfishly enough I didn't want him to go. I wanted him to stay with me forever.  I couldn't handle it.

Because I was living in the present, and all I wanted to do was skip to when he comes home, but I couldn't and that was the worst part.

So I just stood in the rain, letting my hair curl and my tears blend with the cold rain making my body numb.

Then I realized I had a man waiting for me at the doorstep. Watching me with sadness. He had to say goodbye today too.

I was being insensitive. Walking towards my house I saw him waiting patiently with a blanket."It gets easier."

He says wrapping me in it. "Hopfully." I muttered as I closed the door. I could smell the chamomile tea in the air.

"I ran you a bath, don't worry about me, iv been through this a couple of times." Steve says with a small smile before walking to the couch where his sketchbook laid.

I knew he was hurting too, and I wanted to help him. I wanted to help myself get through it.

-

Desume got out of the bath washed dried and dressed ready for the day.

"Stevie?" She questioned coming out of the bathroom. "I'm in the living room May." He calls out.

Walking to the living room she finds him sipping some tea on the couch.

"How do you feel?" He questioned setting down his mug. She decided not to answer and instead sat down.

"How do you feel?" She asked him knowing exactly how she felt.

The man froze not expecting the question."Well me and Buck have been best friends for a long time, so I know he'll be back."

Steve says with a smile. She frowned knowing he was lying."ok."

She laid down against the couch feet hanging off the edge of her couch. White dress falling at her thighs as she sighed.

She was tired. So maybe an nap was in order.