5

September 20 1941
I looked out of my window. Waiting for something. Whatever it was, I just knew something was coming.

Then, it was like my worst nightmare came to life. A car stopping in front of my house. Two men got out both dressed in uniform.

I got up and went to my door. Preparing Myself for the worst case scenario. Opening it I saw the standing there.

Both not knowing what to say. Until the taller one spoke."Are you the sister of William Monroe?" I slowly nodded my head.

"Yes." He handed me a letter."My condolences-" I slammed the door. Not caring about what he was gonna say next.

I just found out that my brother was dead. Looking around my house distrought I held the letter tight. Then I ripped it open.

I needed to know, even if would break me I needed to know.

Dear Millie,
Is that too young for you now? Hopefully not. I'm writing you, because we've just hit enemy territory and I don't know if I'll leave alive.

I want you to know that I love you, and that no matter what happens I want you to not tell Pa. He's too old and close to passing any day now.

I can't leave him thinking his last memories of me were hoping I wasn't dead in a ditch somewhere. So Im writing you knowing you'll make the best of it.

Or I hope so. I love you little sis.
Will.

I felt the air from my lungs leave as I hit the floor. I could only cry. Sob my heart out. Hope it wasn't true.

It wasn't lady like, but I didn't care. He was my only sibling. My only family left. Pa wouldn't even speak to me anymore.

Not that I blamed him. He still believes all these years later that I killed mama. Even if I didn't know any better as a baby coming from the womb.

So I was left crying over what was left of my brother. A note addressed to some girl named Milly. Some girl I couldnt ever be if I tried.

Because she died back on that farm. Back with the nights filled with fireflies and innocent hope for the future.

It terrified me, how I forgot about the country girl who wore pants and a blouse in all the family photos. The girl who talked back to her elders.

Rode horses out into the country hoping to run away forever. Now it was just me. Desume Daisy Monroe.

All by her lonsome. Looking at the words over and over I felt my body still as I realized that my fate could be the same with soulmates.

I hated it. I couldn't come to terms with being engraved on a dog tag and being the person receiving condolences.

I couldn't. I wouldn't. Getting up I walked to my room. I wouldn't watch him leave. Then maybe it wouldn't happen.