40 - bits of past

Hailey Robinson

I cannot sulk on it when I know that finding out more about it won't lead me anywhere. My life won't even feel a shake let alone face a huge change since the reveal. 

It's been a or 2 week since I discovered the truth about myself and I managed it just fine. Though I needed some answers to give my belief a strong core and some solid pillars and that was the very reason I was standing in front of a cafe on a Sunday afternoon, the very cafe inside which Anna Robinson was waiting for me. 

Moving inside, I find her sitting at the farther table. Approaching her I nod a greeting at her and she does the same. I take my seat and observe her. She had always been the same, though she is loyal to her husband, she has a heart of gold. Otherwise, I'd been rotting somewhere god knows. I was rather surprised when she agreed for a round 2 on talk.

Her gaze soft while she asks, "How are you ?" I nod, "I am fine, I hope I didn't trouble you." Shaking her head she says, "No, in fact I wanted to have this conversation with you." When I gesture her to carry on she says, "I know you have questions and I am willing to answer them all in full honesty but just so you know I had always respected Victor's decisions, no matter what."

 I nod, "I know, I won't create any trouble between you two, I did enough, I just need some answers." She nods and I ask her, "Is this all really true? Julia my mother and the family on run and everything?" 

She nods softly, "I didn't knew much of Julia but when I was dating Victor initially, she saved my life once and I owed it to her."

"How so?"

"There was this one time when I was was with my friends at a club, Victor and his friends were there too, but something happened and suddenly I got separated from my friends while I was making my way back to the club after coming from restroom. The bar went deadly and in the mid of it, Jeremy, Victor and Julia were standing and around them were some men too."

"Victor was injured was what I could make out from the periphery of my vision but before I could step any further some man tried to force himself on me. I managed to scream once and catch Julia's attention, she risked her escape and lunged at the man and somehow saved me. When I looked down at the man, she had broken his jaw and had him groaning in pain, I owed it to her otherwise I don't think I would've made it here."

Her words reach my brain and somehow I am proud of myself from whom I come, but the next thought is that I barely know anything about my mother. "How much you know of her?" I ask. 

She sighs gently, "As I said not much, but that woman had guts, she feared no one and you, you get it from her. From how much I've seen you grow up in front of my eyes, you get it from her, strong in person but soft at heart."

I don't know if I can let the comparison settle in me, I don't know if I should still be proud of myself that I take it from my mother or still wail over the fact that she is not here with me. It strikes some denial inside me, fucking 23 years later I find out I am a bastard and my parents are gone for nothing and now it feels like I don't know myself anymore. It feels empty, like I haven't even seen life, colours and all. 

"What about my father? Have you ever known his name? Seen his face? Anything?" I ask in a full hurry. 

She shakes her head. I sigh frustratingly. 

Few seconds goes by, while I try and process everything in  my head. My thought process is broken when she places a medium sized box in front of me. I frown at the box and then at her. Nodding towards the box she says, "This has some last bits of your childhood. Mrs.Annaliese gave it to me while she was on her last breathes and had told to pass it on to you once you've grown up."