Chapter 3

The Creature

After at least 4 hours of walking, you managed to get out of the underground.

It was almost evening, and the last rays of sunlight hit you before disappearing completely.

You observed the landscape in front of you. A forest, and then in front of the forest stood your city, Ebbott City.

"Wow..." you said. Even if you had lived here for all your life, this landscape was still breathtaking.

The echo flower wiggled in response and repeated your last statement.

"Wow..."

You snorted, you forgot that you were carrying the flower with you.

You patted its petals and it wiggled more in response, almost emitting a musical tune.

You giggled, and proceeded to walk in direction of the city. You would have stopped by the lab and gave the flower to be examined.

What you didn't know was that two white pupils were watching over you, watching your every step.

...

You reached the lab you worked in. It was actually a skyscraper, detail that sometimes scared you, and it didn't look like one of those labs you see in sci-fi or action movies.

You entered it and got to the 19th floor, where you worked.

As you opened the glass door leading to your section in the lab, you were greeted by a cheerful voice

"Y/N! There you are, we were getting worried by now"

It was your co-worker, Jim. He seemed to be working on some sort of soil as he spoke.

You chuckled at the joke, looking at the hour. It was in fact 7:30 pm. It was late.

"Why are you appearing so late all of a sudden? Did you perhaps fall in the Underground?" he smirked.

"I could ask you the same question, why are you here so late?" you answered to the joke, completely excluding his last question.

"Isn't it obvious? I'm conducting an experiment on this type of soil. It was given to us by a yellow lizard monster, she said she found it but it wasn't her range of science" he said "so the bosses gave it to me"

You made a small giggle.

Silence ruled among you for some seconds.

"You did fall, didn't you?"

"Shut the fuck up"

He laughed by your annoyed answer.

"Well, I guess I should take your clothes as an answer. I mean, look at you" he said, pointing at your clothes.

Your white shirt was dirty with soil from when you took the echo flower and put it in the vase, and your jeans looked dirty on the ends as well. Your black coat was dusty as well, probably thanks to the vapors in Hotlands. You even had some leaves in your hair, but you didn't notice them.

You quickly removed them under the laugh of your co-worker.

"In all seriousness, what have you brought?" he said, noticing only now the flower.

"Oh, you mean this? It's a weird flower I found in a place full of waterfalls. At first I thought it was a simple flower, but when I spoke to myself it repeated my exact same words, it even startled me at first"

Jim snorted.

"What's so funny?" you asked, annoyed

"It's funny that you got scared by a flower, since you know a lot about them"

Well, he was right, you indeed had a degree in Science and Bothanics.

But still...

Jim laughed at your poker face.

"I swear if you don't shut your laughing mouth I'm going to pick that soil you're studying and put it directly into your mouth. And I'll make sure you don't spit it"

"Oh nooo, I'm so scared, somebody save me!" Jim acted dramatically.

You laughed a little.

"I swear if you don't shut your laughing mouth I'm going to pick that soil you're studying and put it directly into your mouth. And I'll make sure you don't spit it"

Jim stared at the flower actually surprised since you entered the lab.

But immediately started laughing afterwards.

"Certainly even for a flower it prefers repeating rude things" he said between laughs.

"I'm not rude..." you pouted.

"Yeah yeah, I know you're not"

That reminded you, you wanted to conduct a research on the flower, but you noticed you had grown attached to it. You couldn't just dismantle it!

Jim noticed your worried look over the flower, and completely understood what you were thinking with a smirk.

"You don't want to study it anymore, do you?"

"Would you please stop reading my mind?"

He chuckled again, and patted your shoulder.

"Go home in any case, you shouldn't work at this hour"

"So should you"

"My case is different, you shouldn't work now, especially after...heh, your fall" he glanced at your clothes once more.

You gave him a death glare, causing him to laugh even more, and exited the lab.

Luckily your home wasn't too far from the lab, so you got home quickly, safe and alright.

...

You grabbed the keys from your backpack and entered the dark apartment.

You turned on the lights and put the echo flower in the living room, now standing with all of its magnificence and glory on the table, still wiggling.

You directed towards your bedroom, and plopped on your soft bed.

But, somehow, you sensed that something was off.

You didn't realise that your shadow was shifting into something definitely not human.

You put your arm on your eyes again as you did when you fell.

When you removed the arm from them though, fear had conquered your heart, as it started to beat a lot faster than before.

Standing, or rather, floating, above you was the same creature you had encountered today in Waterfall, in that weird room. The only thing different from when you met it was that now, apart from floating, it was semi-transparent, like a ghost.

You shivered at the sight of such creature in your house, your eyes locked with his eye-sockets.

"...Hello there, little one"

You almost screamed from despair.

...

"...it definitely is her" the person on the other end of the phone answered.