Chapter 4

Unknown figures

You opened your eyes.

The morning rays of sunlight greeted you, under the white sheets.

You scratched your eyes to wake you up.

But something felt odd...did something happened yesterday? Tired as you were, after the day before's fall, it was hard to catch memories.

You concentrated as you went through your memory, now getting out of the bed and heading for the bathroom.

You stood there, your hand on the knob of the door, recollecting thoughts

Well, you fell, that's for sure, that was the reason you were so tired...and what else had happened? You met Grillby, went through Waterfall and picked the echo flower that was now standing on your living room table and...

Your shadow was shifting.

The memories of the creature returned in your mind.

You blinked your eyes and turned around yourself, scared, to see if the creature was still there. The night before you got so scared seeing...whatever that was, and fainted pretty hard.

There wasn't anything nearby you though. You sighed in relief, when a thought crossed your mind.

...wait. If yesterday I fainted then....who put me under the blankets?

Horror grew on your face, as the possibility of the creature you saw ACTUALLY existing ran through your mind.

You turned around once more, and then you finally saw it.

The night before you didn't have the chance to observe it carefully now that it was like a ghost.

Its face was white, a pure white, and you could distinguish two black cracks, the left one going up and the right one going down its...face? What even was that? Its eyes, or...eyesockets? were black as well, and it had a smile that surely didn't chill you at all.

It had a black coat, and you could see the collar of a turtleneck, but no throat. It didn't look like it had any limb though, as you later saw, its hands were standing there, without arms, floating like it was normal.

The creature, still floating, smiled at you in silence. Rather terrifying.

You deeply inhaled some air, trying not to scream and faint again.

You started mumbling to yourself

"Haha....this must be surely a dream. Now I'll pinch my skin and wake up like this is not happening"

You could swear you heard the creature smirk, but it almost sounded like a glitch sound.

You heavily pinched your skin, jumping a little from the sudden light pain, and closed your eyes. But the creature was still there, smiling in all its glory.

"...no. It can't be" you thought, still staring at the creature.

The creature's smile widened.

"Finally realised this is reality?" it said, its voice almost sounding like an interference.

It sounded, apart from the glitches and interference sounds, like a deep male voice. You could almost say that it was attractive.

You shook that thought away from your mind.

You started shivering.

Calm down Y/N...whatever this is it can't hurt you, you thought.

"May I ask you who you are and why are you here?" you asked, gathering all your courage you didn't know you possessed.

The creature contemplated one moment, and answered with its glitchy voice.

"I'm W.D. Gaster, Royal, or should I say ex by now, ex Royal Scientist of Monsters"

...

Somewhere else

The snow was falling even though there was no sky up his face. The ceiling looking dark and far away as always, the figure teleported and gently stood on the snow, deforming when the figure put his feet there.

He started walking until he reached a familiar building, now quiet for almost a year.

The Christmas-decorated house still stood there, even though no one entered it now. The figure looked at it, reminiscing the old times.

Times he was afraid of living again after hundreds and hundreds of [Reset]s. Or was he? Did he care? Only he knows.

He sighed, grabbed a key from his pocket and proceeded towards the back of the house. There, it stood a grey metal door, looking like it was not opened for many years.

The figure opened the door, and entered. Dust, luckily not monster dust, spread all over the room, even though it was small.

Something in a corner of the room was covered. The figure swiftly went and uncovered it.

There was a machine with many comands and buttons, and a broken screen. The machine was broken, which reassured him, but he couldn't answer himself.

He couldn't believe it. He thought, if he returned, that he must have come back only through this machine.

He stood there, reflecting. The only way that it was possible returning from that place, especially after what happened, was through the machine that he personally built, before....the visions he would rather not remember.

He sighed again, he would rather not get stressed over this, and he would reflect about it with the person he used to talk with on the other end of the phone.

He quickly covered again the machine and headed out. He needed some fresh air.

Actually, now that he was there, why not pay him a visit? Maybe they would have talked about it and tried to come up with something to do.

Instead of actually teleporting, as he often did, he started walking. The snow falling around him, him not giving a second glance to it, as he was in the middle of his thoughts.

Dark circles were under his eyes. Did he even sleep in these days? What had worried him so much?

He really needed a break.

Still reminiscing the old times, he entered the building to experience again one of his pleasant memories.

The hot atmosphere greeted him. He looked around himself, the atmosphere hadn't changed much in that year when he was not present. There was still the old jubox he himself sometimes had played. There was still the little chair by the counter he used to sit on.

He was met by a surprised glare and a gasp.

"sup, grillbz"

"...what are you doing here, Sans?"