Chapter 28

Broken soul

Gaster started running towards the river: he KNEW you would be there, it could be just like this.

His heart started racing as sweat fell from his skull.

Among the palaces, he could finally start seeing the river that you found comfort in.

"This place is special for me" you said "it's peaceful, isn't it? And look at the colours, they relax me a lot. Do they relax you?"

He started running faster now that he was near the river.

The sunset was about to take place.

"Please, tell me you are the-" but he cut himself off

He stopped running.

He was on the opposite sidewalk as he clenched his ribcage. Not in fatigue, but in heartbreaking.

On the sidewalk facing the river, holding the barricade, were you and Jack.

Your backs were turned, so you couldn't actually see him.

"W-why...why are you with him?" he thought, starting to feel a knot in his throat.

He couldn't hear (did he actually want to hear?) what you two were saying: he just stood there, pain flowing through all of his body.

A purple, glowing tear fell from his cheek, but wiped it immediately.

His ribcage, which was calm, was now trembling repeatedly, grasping for air.

He turned his back and faced the wall of the palace beside him, not to be seen by people: he didn't want to see bewildered looks on everybody else's face. Who knows, maybe they would have gotten your attention and you would have seen him like this.

Oh, that's right, you didn't even remember him. The only thing you could have done was simply worry and ask yourself if everything was okay, and not run in his arms and hug him.

He let out a shaky sob, and teleported as immediately as he could.

He fell on the floor of his and his sons' house, with a loud thud. Sans then got out of his bedroom to examine the source of the sound, and found his dad trying to control himself from bursting out.

"dad?!"

"Hah, hah...I should have expected i-it" he said as the knot in his throat made his voice shaky.

"dad...?"

"Of course, h-how am I so stupid...in the year before our arrival s-she still was..."

He tried to control himself more, but it was useless as more tears were falling down, though he cried silently.

"...sorry, Sans. I never wanted you to see me like this"

"...she's with her ex-boyfriend, i presume?"

"Y-yeah...in a few months though he'll start to change though, so I don't really know what will happen..."

He sniffed and breathed in and out slowly.

"This is even worse than her forgetting about me...finding her with that scumbag, tch...all that dream and torture for nothing"

"pfsh, dad, shouldn't you do something though? if she indeed will eventually dump her boyfriend, shouldn't you do something to approach her?"

As a response, Gaster stood there, quietly.

"...if she indeed dumps him then I'll...watch her from afar and make sure she is happy. I'll love her no matter what. I'm just sad that I can't be the one that makes her happy"