Chapter 25

Hopeless?

"...dad?"

But the figure stood there, as if it was unalive.

Sans carefully and slowly approached it to look at their face.

It was indeed Gaster. The only thing was that he was almost unrecognizable: he had two black circles under his eyesockets, pin-pricks small as atoms, and his gaze...

The gaze of someone who was ready to kill hundreds of men.

Sans felt a chill down his spine: he had never seen his dad like this.

"dad, can you hear me?" he called again.

His dad slightly frowned, almost as if it was brought back to reality.

"...Sans" he just said.

darn, not that tone, Sans thought.

"dad, please, tell me how you are here. you should be in the void now"

Gaster looked at him, his pin-pricks still small as atoms. Sans felt again a chill down his spine. It was like he was being judged.

It was like HE was the one being judged now, as he remembered judging Frisk in the judgement hall.

Surprisingly for Sans, Gaster only sighed and fell on the couch.

He was feeling a knot in his throat.

But he didn't want to cry in front of his older son.

Not yet.

He slowly opened his hand and showed what he was clenching.

Remains of a broken test tube.

"It's what remains of the Determination I extracted from Chara's soul"

"wha- dad, why did you still have that? i thought you threw it into the bin"

"Hah, good question. I found it in my pocket when I went with...Y/N...at the amusement park. Perhaps it was fate, perhaps I simply forgot it there or was too lazy to take it out of my pocket, but god was it a good thing to keep it there. If I didn't keep it at this time I would have been lost in the void."

"how did the determination in there brought you back though?" Sans asked.

Gaster sharply inhaled air for a second as he thought about a possible answer.

"I crashed it when I was about to become similar to slime. You know how Determination deforms our bodies, don't you? I thought that by crashing the test tube and touching its content while I was going back to the void would have made the void refuse me, as I was losing my physical form after touching the Determination. It brought me back here, and I guess I am finally safe from the void"

But I would rather be in the void than here without her, especially without her remembering me. If not for my sons, I wouldn't have crashed the test tube.

He clenched his fist, the broken glass falling through the hole on his hand.

He was seeking revenge, his eyes clearly telling what he was feeling.

Sans gulped as he felt genuinely scared. He had never seen his dad like this.

"dad-"

"When does that human arrive in Snowdin?" he asked, a tint of rage in his voice.

Sans stayed quiet for a second before answering.

He gathered all his courage, even if he was scared just a second before and answered.