New Job

*Two months later*

I've been here for two and a half months, but haven't found anything on what their planning against my pack. I'm almost out of tonic, but have been looking for the ingredients to make more if I need to. Anna and I have grown quite close. There was a moment when my tonic had worn almost completely off, and I could smell a sweet lavender honey scent. Unusually when you smell something that smells divine, it's your mates scent. But it was gone as fast as it came, and I'm thinking it was the tonic. Who knows, maybe I just dreamt of it. I couldn't  risk finding my mate and putting her in danger now.

"Anything on your mind, Shawn?" Anna asked looking concerned.

"I'm alright. I was just thinking about work. I would like to help the Mayor more. You know, be part of the 'in' crowd. I know this is my home now, but I want to do my part to protect it. No matter the cost." I said as I made my way over to Anna and kissed her head. "I've got a meeting setup with the Mayor, so I've gotta run. I'll be back late. No need to wait for me."

"Be safe. I'll leave the light on for you." She said.

I walked a few houses down to the Mayor's and knocked on his big oak door. A woman answered, she was very petite and had bright red hair and stunning emerald eyes. 'Maybe it's his maid.' I thought to myself.

"Oh, you must be Shawn! I'm Emma, I'm Michael's daughter. So glad you could join us! Please come in. Michael is in his study now, follow me." Emma lead me down a different hallway to his study and knocked on the door.

"Come in." Michael hollered at the door. As the door opened and I walk in, my jaw dropped. Michael was sitting in his chair with his back toward me looking out his window. Emma must have left me because when I looked over for her, she was gone. This room was massive. Bright yellow, gold, and brown wallpaper that looked like honeycomb, large book shelves built into the walls and covered most of the room. There was a long dark wooden table with at least 20 chairs with golden velvet cushions. They must have spared no expense on just this house alone. I wondered what other hidden treasures I might find. "Shawn, thank you for coming. I've heard from my guards that you'd like to join them, or be included on our council. Is that right?" He asked.

"Yes sir, I'd like to be included on important decisions when it comes to this town, to our people. This is my home and I want to help protect it. I used to be a security guard and helped local police forces come up with battle tactics when it came to those situations. I want to put these skills to use if possible." I said as passive as I could. I hated this mission already. I wanted to go home, to my friends, to my Alpha. I wanted my life back.

"You're just in luck. We have a position that just opened up. Your predecessor has retired, kind of."

"What do you mean, kind of retired?" I asked quizzically.

"Let's just say he was older than most in those positions and I felt that his time was up. We need someone that will give us a fresh perspective. If you would like the position, just say yes."

"What position is it? Are you sure I'm the right fit?"

"I've watched you over the last few months and can see that you're the best fit. You would be my right hand man, my advisor of sorts. You may occasionally help with battle plans if the need arises. What do you say?"

"Hell yes! I appreciate this so much. You won't regret it." 'Yes you will.' I thought. Michael handed me a set of keys and explained which key went where. He showed me a few rooms that only we would have access to, one of which was the basement. That's where they kept the armory. I'm sure of that. What else could be behind the big steel doors?

After the tour, we passed the War Room. That's where they plan out their battle strategies. That's the intel I need, but I have more rooms to check before I can leave. 'I'll leave that room for last.' I assured myself.