The Ring

"Devin, do you have a moment to talk? I have something that I need your assistance with." Oliver asked Devin through mind-link.

"I'm training the newest warrior class right now, can it wait an hour?" Devin replied.

"I suppose it can, but it's of the upmost importance. Don't breathe a word of this to anyone."

"Alpha got jokes. Like I could speak even if I wanted to."

Oliver rolled his eyes and said, "You know what I meant, Dev. Like I would intentionally say shit like that. I swear, if you weren't so good at your damn job, I'd find someone less dickish."

"We both know that's not true, Alpha." Devin chuckled. "Besides, who else would keep you grounded or on your toes? This Beta right here is what you need. I mean, besides a mate." Devin retorted.

"Goddess, fine. Just get here as soon as you can." Oliver quipped then closed his mind-link.

Devin was not only the packs Beta, but he was also the historian. While Devin was not much younger than Oliver, he was the youngest pack historian they ever had. Devin loved to read as a kid and would read any book in his reach. He averaged about 4-5 books a day, depending on the book. Eventually, by 18 he had read every book and scroll in their pack library. He was knowledgeable in every aspect, but the one thing that held him back when it came to friends, he was mute. Anytime he was asked something, it was answered through mink-link. He only had one constant friend, one friend that didn't see his being mute an issue, Oliver. As Oliver trained for his Alpha position, Devin was always beside him. Their energies fed each other. When Oliver took over at 21, he chose Devin to be his Beta. Devin was not only the youngest Beta the pack has had at only 18, he was the first mute wolf to rise to such ranks.

An hour had went by and Devin walked into Oliver's office and sat down on the couch in the corner of the room. "So why did you need me? Does it have to do with Shawn's mate?" Devin asked.

"Actually, sort of. She explained why she came here of all places and what happened to her after Shawn left. She escaped with the help of the witch Emma. She was given this..." Oliver pulled out the cloth with the ring and handed it to Devin. "by the witch and was told to give it to me." Devin unwrapped the cloth and stared curiously at the signet ring. "I asked you here to see if you could place who this ring belonged to and why it has our packs crest on it." He said. "You are the famous historian after all." Oliver said sarcastically as he rolled his eyes.

"This is incredible! I'm not sure off the top of my head, but it's ancient. Look here." Devin said as he pointed to the crest. "This right here is what used to be on our crest thousands of years ago. We removed it as the Alpha back then was charged with treason and killed." Oliver stared at Devin in shock and awe. "Can I keep this for a bit? I'll look into it more and see what I can find."

"Please do. I'd like to find the significance of it and why Emma wanted me to have it." Oliver replied. Devin nodded and stood up to leave. "Just a reminder, not a word to anyone about this." With a second nod, Devin left to look into the rings history.