Fair justice

Enraged, she knocked the wooden table with her fist. Her lawyer jumped, not expecting such a strong reaction from his client. She hid her face in her hands, moaning in despair.

“How can you say that?” she moaned. “I want justice and that’s all you can do? What kind of lawyer are you?”

“The best, ma’am.”

She laughed, standing up. She struggled just to keep herself calm. Then she leaned firmly against the table and gazed at the lawyer she had hired.

“You’re fired.”

“You cannot…”

“I can and I will. Leave now. Get out of here.”

Outraged, the lawyer rose. He placed his briefcase under his arm with a sudden gesture, seething. He told her with a sharp tone she will never find a better lawyer than him to take care of her case. The young woman shook her head, still pointing at the door.

“I trusted you,” she said.

“I honestly did everything I could to help you.”

“How dare you lie to me? I asked for your help, but you did absolutely nothing.”

He shrugged.

“But it’s not my fault.”

“I have no family! My own mother refuse to talk to me because of you precious advice!”

“You decided to file a complaint against your father. Not me.”

She felt anger rising inside of her, something at the bottom of her throat. Clenching her fists, she summoned his again to leave her home without any delay. He just laughed. He had caused all this and liked it. He finally shrugged, a wicked smile on his lips.

“I’ll send you my fees.”

“Get out!” she yelled.

“You have a very nasty character, you know. You should get some help.”

“Get out!”

He walked slowly to the door, still smiling. One alone, the young woman fell on the floor and began to sob like a child, her face hidden in her hands. Her whole life had switched in horror from the judge’s verdict. She had tried everything needed but justice rejected her without any regret. She regained her composure and looked at the wall clock: almost seven o’clock. Her five year old little girl would be here soon. Her ex-husband was very punctual. She got up and went to the bathroom to splash her face with cold water. She had to be sure her daughter will not ask her any questions. She jumped when the door chime rang. A few seconds later, a little girl with curly brown hair opened the door, running.

“Mom! We’re here!”

She threw herself into her mother’s arms, hugging her tenderly. The young woman lifted her from the ground, very happy to see her. A tall man closed the door behind him and placed a small pink backpack on the floor. She looked up at him, a smile on her lips.

“You had a nice weekend?” she asked them.

He shrugged and sighed.

“Mary wasn’t feeling very well, but our little angel took great care of her.”

“Is she ill?”

“The doctor asked her to stay in bed for a few days. The weight of her big belly causes her much trouble.”

“I guess.”

“I helped her and she gave me a book,” the little girl replied.

“Oh yeah? So we’ll have to put it with the others in your library.