22

Avery

Everything is a mess. Everyone is a mess. They are all blaming Rika, saying she's lying. But, I know she isn't. I have to jump in. She hurt me and she won't get away with it but she does not deserve this. I might hate Michael but he's in love with her. He has the right to be and to know what happened that night.

''You think I posted the videos that got you arrested? That's why you're doing this?'' Rika sounds heartbroken.

''You had Will's phone'' Michael says calmly like he wants to believe she didn't. But, she really didn't.

''I didn't! I would have never done that'' she argues. Will is about to get involved but I tug on his hand. He narrows his eyes and I shake my head. I am not sure he understands me but at least, it keeps him from doing something he will regret.

''He was! You all were, except Michael! You were passed out in the car, Damon was threatening me, and Kai grabbed me. When I hit him, he just laughed and said, 'You can't hurt me. The devil always has my back!' You were all there and the phone fell out when I was on the ground!'' Rika is panicking. She glances at me before doing the same at Michael. She wants us to believe her. I do. But I will not get involved in this. I figured it out already. I'll let them do the same. It's not so hard.

''The devil always has my back?'' Kai repeats.

''I didn't say that. I've never even heard that before!'' he yells. I spot Michael, shaking his head. He has just realized.

''I have. My father. He says that'' his chest heaves and I know, he knows he messed everything up.

''Trevor'' he says in a low voice. He locks eyes with Damon who winks at me.

''What?'' he snaps.

''Will was drunk as shit but, you weren't. You took her into the middle of nowhere instead of directly home, and you knew it was Trevor under that mask'' Michael challenges. He's figured it out.

''You're taking her side?''

''You're the one lying to me'' Michael replies. He shakes his head once again before turning to his friends. Their faces are easy to read now. They are confused. I twist my head to Damon and he shrugs. That's when I know, I will lose him. I have lost him. He fucking corrupted me. He explains what happened that night. Why did Trevor do what he did. Why did he do what he did. It all seems so clear now. Damon wanted Rika out of the way and Trevor wanted her to himself. I used to think that it impressed me; what he did. I feel very troubled now. I think it's messed up but I see where he's coming from. It's only when he tells Rika she's fucking pussy and nothing more that I feel my heart shattered. Is that what he thinks of me? I don't have time to ask because in an instant, Michael launches forward and they are fighting.

''You choosing her, uh? You are choosing her over your friends?'' Damon asks. Michael's fist comes over Damon's jaw but Kai and Will are prying him off. I am standing there, dumbfounded. I don't know what to think, nor what to do. It all just hurts the same. I spot Rika walking away but Michael also notices. I don't care. Damon runs away, I don't know where. I do not follow. I trusted him. I thought I was playing him but, I guess it was the other way around. Will and Kai walk to the living room. They look so confused. It's understandable. After everything? Thinking Rika did this? Yeah. I am confused but I can not say I am shocked. Will takes my hand, forcing me to follow them. He sits me down on the couch and I fight back the urge to get up and hit the wall. I am done. I am so done.
Will keeps running his fingers through my upper arm and I lean into his touch. Until I see Michael and Rika coming back. She sits down on Michael's lap and I keep my gaze on her. I want her to know.