xvii.

s e v e n t e e n

I was due any day now. I was home waiting on the furniture that we bought last week but couldn't take home. Chris was at the store picking them up with Riley.

Sighing, I got off the couch after I heard a knock on the door. "Who is it?" I called. My stomach was blocking me from reaching the peep hole in the door along with my height. "It's Jacob, open up please." I rolled my eyes and opened the door to reveal him dressed in an oddly designed cotton jacket and a pair of black and gray slacks. He looked down at my belly and smiled a bit before returning his gaze to my eyes, nervously. "I-I was taking a jog through the neighborhood, so I thought I should drop by."

I felt a sudden kick towards my stomach but I paid no mind to it seeing that it didn't last long. "Come in," I mumbled quietly. It was barely audible but he came in anyway. He made his way into the living room and sat on the couch I was sitting on so I chose the love seat opposite of him. There was an awkward tension in the air and I felt like I couldn't breathe through it, although it was just an exaggeration. "So... How've you been?" He asked while playing with his fingers.

"I've been well," I had nothing to say to him. "It's a boy, by the way." Besides that.

I didn't know what to say to him but either way his face lit up for a moment before saying, "Yeah, I know. Michael and Angela were talking about all week long with the rest of the staff in the entire building." He wiped his sweaty palms on his sweats. "I wonder if it wasn't Chris's kid would they still be talking about it like they are now, like if it was just an ordinary employee's baby, you know?" I nodded, biting down on my cheek. I took in a sharp breath when an equally sharp pain bolted through my abdomen like lightning. "Hey, ar-are you okay?" I shook my head and said I'm fine.

The pain quickly subsided and I stood up, Jacob getting up quickly also asking me if I needed help. "No, I'm fine. The contractions, they happen a couple days a week before the baby comes, we kinda had a false alarm on Monday." I chuckled lightly but he only frowned for a second. "Uh-would you like something to drink?" I slowly mimicked a penguin's walk as I made my way to the kitchen.

"Water would be great." I went to fridge and took out two bottles of water, grabbed a bowl from the cupboard and poured out the bag of Chex Mix. I felt a rush of liquid run down my leg, I looked down and gasped. "Shit!" I know I've been having these cramps all morning but really? "You choose to come now?" I exclaimed.

"Mya? Is everything okay?"

"Oh, just fucking dandy! I just peed myself so everything's fine!" I screamed, my tongue laced with sarcasm. Jacob quickly entered the room and another contraction struck me again. I hunched over in pain, gripping unto the counter. "Aunt Mya?" Jen came into the room rubbing her eyes in her usual sweater and denim jumper shorts. I can't believe she actually slept in such uncomfortable clothes. "Where's mommy?"

"She - oh god - went out for a minute with Uncle Chris. Sweetie, do you remember where we put the big blue duffle bag?" She nodded quickly. "Could you go get it for me?" Jen scurried off pass the stairs leaving me and Jacob alone again.

I felt him get close to me and put his hand on my back. "Are you okay?"

"What does it fucking look like?" I took a deep breath and relaxed. "I apologize. I'm just - I wasn't expecting this at all." I took deep relaxing breaths and massaged my belly. Jacob nodded in understanding. He didn't know what to do. I could tell by how he looked at me with confused brows. "Who was the kid?" He tried to make conversation.

"The kid, Jen, is my friend's daughter." I basically scowled at him. I don't know why I was being such a bitch but I couldn't help it. Luckily, Jen came in quickly dragging the supposedly heavy bag across the tiled floor. Jacob hurried over and took the bag from her, slinging it over his shoulder with ease. "Are you having the baby, Aunty?" I nodded and breathed heavily as another contraction hit me hard.

"Come on," Jacob said, wrapping his right arm around me and holding my left with the other. I took the house keys quickly and slipped them into Jen's jumper pocket. I turned on the security system and we exited the house. Jacob helped me into the passenger seat of his car and then Jen into the backseat before going to his side and starting the car. "I thought you said you were jogging through the neighborhood."

He cleared his throat and sighed, "I lied. I wanted to see you. I needed to, so I decided to visit."

I took a hold of the grab-handle, preparing myself for another contraction. "Did you know Chris wasn't gonna be there?" I tried to distract myself from the intense pain. He shook his head slowly, saying under his breath that he was just lucky. "Give me the phone in the bag Jen."

I heard her search the bag briefly before saying she couldn't find it. I forgot my phone. Jacob passed me his phone and I dialed Chris's number before handing the phone to Jen who was the most capable of speaking on the phone than me or Jacob. He was driving and I could do something like drop the phone or throw it out the window because of the contractions "What?" Is that how Chris answers Jacob? Not even a hello?

"Uncle Chris?" I guess she put it on speaker. "Jen?" Chris asked, "why do you have Jacob's phone? Is he there?"

Jen looked up from the phone and poked Jacob. "Is your name Jacob?" He nodded, humming in response. "Yea, he's taking Aunty to the hospital because the baby's is coming." Every word she said made me smile seeing that she couldn't say any of them right because of her sigmatism. (She has a lisp but it was adorable.)

I heard Chris talk under his breath. "Tell Jacob to take care of her until we get to the hospital, okay?"

She put her hand over the phone's microphone and said, "Uncle Chris said to tell Jacob to take care of Aunty until we get to the hospital, okay?" She repeated every single word Chris said although we heard everything.

"Chris?!" I cried out as another contraction struck. "Baby? Don't worry, I'll see you in couple minutes! Just remember what we practiced, just breathe. Calm down and just breathe." The pain was coming so quickly now. I didn't expect it to be so horrible when we tried.

If only I knew that he was lying to keep me calm. "How far are they?"

"I don't know, like 5, 8 minutes?" I wasn't too sure because I wasn't keeping track.

"Okay, just remember to breathe. We'll see each other soon. I love you." Then he hung up but not before telling Jacob not to get in an accident, very harshly I might add.

I bit down on my lip trying to suppress the pain from the contractions. "What are you guys gonna name him?" I shrugged. That was a very valid question. He smirked, "Well, I have an idea."