xviii.

e i g h t e e n

Curses escaped my lips as I gripped unto the pillow behind my head. I just wanted to rip it away from the bed and throw it away in hopes of making this easier. Sweat beaded it's way across my forehead, the place seemed to be getting hotter and hotter. "Why isn't he ready to come out?" I whined. I felt like I was about to cry. "Not yet Mya, but we're soon there." The nurse said as she wrote down something on the clipboard. I rolled unto my side and sighed seeing that I had to return unto my back because it was just uncomfortable.

That was just four hours ago.

"Where's Chris?" I squeezed Jacob's hand, ignoring how he winced in pain. I took the time to watch how Jen was fast asleep on his chest. Although he didn't know her, he held her close to his body shielding her from the hospital air conditioning. The door bursted open revealing Chris who ran over to my side and grabbed my hand from Jacob. "Baby, I'm here. I'm here." Riley took Jen from Jacob and went over to sit on the other side of the bed. "Why did you take so long?" I questioned him giving his hand a bone crushing squeeze. "We had to find your mother, she lives in another city, remember?" Don't talk to me like I'm dumb. Another person walked through the room causing me the groan in disapproval.

"What are you doing here?" My mother seethed towards Jacob who only stood up and looked at me with sad eyes. Chris sat down in Jacob's seat. My mother waltzed over towards the chair in the corner of the room and sat down with a scowl on her face as she watched Jacob. "I'm gonna go now." He began to exit the room but I called him back.

"Jacob, no. I want you here." I saw my mother fold her legs in disapproval but I couldn't care less. Chris nodded towards him saying that it was alright so he came back in and took a seat near Riley.

My mother huffed and took out her phone. I looked to Chris, "Why is she even here?" I pouted at him, entwining our fingers together. He gave me a sympathetic smile and kissed my hand. "She's your mother she had to come and even if she didn't you would still have to face her sooner or later."

I rolled my eyes at him, "She could've came when I finished giving birth!" I turned my face away from him and towards Riley and Jen. I pleaded her with my eyes but she only mouthed an apology. "I should go to the cafeteria and get something for her."

"No, I want you here too."

"Well, then it seems you only want me gone." My mother said pursing her lips. I raised my brow. "No shit." She switched her folded legs in her peach linen skirt before pulling out her lipstick and painting her thin lips with it and returning it to her purse. She looked at me with smug expression meaning that there was no where in hell she would leave. The nurse sat in front of me with her latex gloves on. "Prop your legs for me please," she said kindly. I did as she asked then she inserted her fingers inside my vagina.

"Well, this is greatly uncomfortable," I mumbled looking up to the plain white ceiling. I felt her hands slide out and I bit down on my lip (just to spite Chris) causing Chris to tighten his grip on my hand. "It seems that you're fully dilated... So let's deliver this baby." She was incredibly perky which I hated but I smiled anyway because I can finally get to see my baby.

Seconds later Dr. Turner came in and put on his gloves. "Is this all the people you want to be in here?" I looked around and saw Jen. Riley got up but I stopped her. "Make my least favorite person take her," I said grinning because I finally got an excuse to make her leave. Everyone looked towards my mother except for the doctor who had his hands up in defense, Jacob who looked towards me and my mother who looked towards Jacob. When Linda realized this, she scoffed in disbelief but took Jen in her arms anyway, leaving to go sit in the waiting room.

"Ready to deliver this baby or are we expecting someone else to leave?" I glared at him as he sat down between my legs. Yeah, it was uncomfortable knowing someone was watching me down there but then I look over at Jacob who was just as uncomfortable as me. He glowered at him as if he was ready to pounce but tried to contain himself. "Okay, I want you to push at your next contraction." I nodded quickly. Riley came closer to me and held my hand while Jacob sat in her seat.

My next contraction took forever to come but when it did I was ready. I took a breath and calmed down. Pushing felt very awkward. The pain was horrendous so it was all strangely uncomfortable.

After two hours or so of pushing, everything was numb down there but I still felt a pinch of pain. "Alright, his head is out!" I saw Dr. Turner's smile through his surgical mask. A tear escaped my eye as Chris placed kisses on my face. "He's a big guy." I hear the nurse mumble. She was grinning too. Although I couldn't feel much, I knew he was almost out. All that was there to do was get his shoulders out. At the next contraction I pushed with extra force. I want to see my baby now, that's the thought that gave me the boost of energy to give birth to a healthy baby boy at 12:02 am, June 9th.

The nurse picked him up in a cloth quickly and placed him on my chest, that's when I knew I was a mother. With an adorable, but messy sneeze, he began crying. I've never felt this happy in my life. Chris caressed his head, before slipping off his mask and kissing me deeply. "What are gonna name him?" The nurse asked, interest in her voice. Chris looked at me worriedly but I smiled.

The doctor cleared his throat, "This is nice and all but who's gonna cut the cord?" But Chris didn't pay any mind to that. He just kept looking at the baby. Riley didn't want to do it either. "I-I'll do it." Jacob said. I looked at him as he carefully snipped the physical connection between my son and I.

"I got an idea," I said looking towards Jacob. Chris gave me a nod as a sign to continue. "Colton Ezra." A grin appeared on his face as he proclaimed his love for it. Jacob tried to hide a smirk on his face as he slowly backed away to where he was first. At least he took part in the birth. He actually did most of the work, he took me here, sat with me, cut the cord and named the baby.

The nurse took Colton away towards another end of the room which I now noticed was considerably large. I was sad at first but I just wanted to sleep. "8 pounds, 10 ounces, 21 inches long." The nurse said before she took him out the room.

"No sleeping yet," the doctor said.

Oh god.